Mostly Cloudy ~
High: 70°F ~ Low: 52°F
Friday, May 24, 2013
We the People vs We the CorporationsPosted Sunday, October 30, 2011, at 7:51 PM
One of the very worst decisions to come out of our United States Supreme Court this year has been the passage of the "Citizens United" law. This decision allows corporations to give money to political campaigns without identifying themselves or how much they donated.
Talk about electing the best candidate money can buy; this decision also allows corporations to buy our democracy right out from under us.
We the people need to join the grassroots campaigns to repeal this ruling now before November 2012. Otherwise, the Roberts' Court, the Koch brothers, SuperPACS and corporations will run our election process.
How do we manage to stop this takeover of our democracy? Here are some of the organizations everyone can join to make a difference. The websites are listed below.*
1. FreeSpeechforPeople.org supports an amendment to repeal the "Citizens United" ruling of the Supreme Court.
2. MovetoAmend.org proposes an amendment to declare that only human beings, not corporations, are persons with constitutional rights.
3. PubliCampaign.org operates all across the country pushing for clean election coalitions to pass laws giving local and state candidates the alternative of using public pools of money in financing their campaigns. You can learn how to launch a similar effort where you live by going to this site.
4. CommonCause.org and RootsAction.org are two national organizations which have extensive information about the Supreme Court Justices Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas who had undisclosed ties to the Koch brothers and other secretive corporations while considering the "Citizens United" case. These two justices are friends of big time CEOs and Justice Thomas also accepted gifts from participants in cases before him and for filing false financial reports. Scalia and Thomas should be impeached for unethical conduct. These websites will tell you how to voice your feelings concerning this issue.
5. Finally, We the People Champaign where you'll be updated on the campaign, notified about new actions to join and provide information for your own grassroots organizing. Go to wethepeoplecampaign.org.
A few weeks ago, as you might remember, Mitt Romney declared, "Corporations are people, my friends." This statement makes it quite clear that Romney is supporting the Supreme Court's decision that corporations are the people, not we are the people. Appeal this ruling before it's too late.
*Info taken from "The Hightower Lowdown" by Jim Hightower and Phillip Frazer
Showing comments in chronological order
[Show most recent comments first]
In a Twist
- Blog RSS feed
- Comments RSS feed
- Send email to Enid Swartz
I'm Enid. No, not the town in Oklahoma, but a transplant to Eureka Springs from Minneapolis fourteen years ago. I'm a writer, journalist and sometime artist. My real love is expressing my opinions on almost any subject, as you have seen in my many letters to the Editor of The Lovely County Citizen over the years. Now, I'm happy to say that I will be writing a blog titled In a Twist for your amusement, amazement or commiseration. Thanks for giving me a read.