Give in to great food
Feeling like fasting before Thanksgiving? Nonsense! Train that tummy with a few great meals in Eureka Springs. There's so much to enjoy, and the town has some of the top-rated eateries in the state.
Start off with some BBQ baby back ribs, and don't spare the sauce, or load up with a juicy burger topped with grilled onions and mushrooms. Sure, there are salads, but why pass up a thick, pepper-rubbed steak, perfectly grilled, or, if you're a vegetarian, a veggie Reuben or hot-and-hearty potato soup? Maybe some chicken fajita nachos are calling your name, or you have a craving for pasta, topped with an irresistible garlic sauce. And goodness, leave some room for dessert! Fresh apple strudel, warm pumpkin pie with ice cream on top, or rich cheesecake, drizzled with caramel. Soon, you'll be ready for that turkey and dressing, fresh-baked rolls and a second piece of deliciously rich pecan pie. But why go home for that? Many restaurants in Eureka Springs will be open for Thanksgiving, too, so let out that waistband and pull up a chair. Hungry already? Browse the listings below and find tonight's perfect meal.
• Autumn Breeze A beautiful fine-dining steak and seafood house. The charbroiled steaks are what steak lovers are looking for and the extensive menu offers lots of other choices, including lobster tails, Chicken Cordon Bleu, Coquilles St. Jacques and rack of lamb. If excellent service, a lovely view and a world-class wine list appeal to you, then you've got to try Autumn Breeze. Chef Bloch's soufflés are the perfect ending to an outstanding dining experience. Open Monday through Saturday, 5 -- 9 p.m. (479) 253-7734. Hwy 23, 1/2 mi. S of Hwy 62.
• Balcony Bar and Restaurant Enjoy hearty appetizers during the week inside or on the covered deck of the Basin Park Hotel. Friday night fish fry is not to be missed. Battered cod or baked chicken complemented with War Eagle Mill's famous cornbread. Fish Fry Fridays are done in a magnificent way, featuring the freshly-milled organic grains of War Eagle Mill. Battered Cod and Catfish, corn bread, hush puppies and hot rolls, plus cole slaw and all the fixin's makes the the Balcony the place to be on Frydays. Full bar. Open for lunch and dinner. (479) 253-7837. 12 Spring St.
• Bavarian Inn Walk into an Alpine setting and enjoy authentic Czech-German cuisine, steaks and fish. One minute from downtown on US62W, open daily from 5--9 p.m. Full bar and fabulous homemade desserts. (479) 253-7741. 325 W. Van Buren.
• Cafe Amoré Delicious Italian food made fresh daily by Chef Katherine. Full bar and plenty of free off-street parking. Serving dinner 5 p.m. -- 9 p.m. Open Tuesday thru Sunday. (479) 253-7192. Located at 2070 E. Van Buren.
• Café Santa Fe Southwestern food served in a fun, bright café on N. Main St. at Mill Hollow Rd. Southwestern specialties and daily lunch specials. Full bar and lots of free parking. Open daily at 11 a.m. (479) 253-9617. 179 N. Main.
• Café Soleil Delicious, healthy, beautiful and affordable menu choices, and beer and wine or herbal teas for your pleasure. Open 11 a.m. -- 9 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. Sunday 10 a.m. -- 9 p.m. Brunch ‘til 2 p.m. Located on US62E. (479) 253-2345.
• Crystal Dining Room Superior dining for the discriminating traveler in the gorgeous 1886 Crescent Hotel ballroom, just off the lobby. Breakfast, lunch and dinner served daily, with Sunday brunch in the tradition of grand hotels. (479) 253-9652. 75 Prospect Ave.
• DeVito's Enjoy fine, authentic, Italian family recipes in an intimate setting in the heart of downtown. Fresh trout is the specialty of the house, but DeVito's has received accolades for its entire menu in an impressive number of state and national publications. Dinner served Thursday through Monday, 5-9 p.m. Full bar. New! Dine-in / take-out Deli. Thursday through Monday 11:30 a.m. -- 2 p.m. (479) 253-6807. 5 Center St.
• Ermilio's Old-country Italian family recipes make Ermilio's like a trip to Tuscany. Choose your pasta, then choose your sauce, and try those meatballs! Full bar. Serving dinner daily 5 - 9 p.m. (479) 253-8806. 26 White St.
• Eureka Swiss Café Dine in, take out or take in the view at Eureka Swiss Café. Enjoy their made-to-order sandwiches on homemade wheat rolls. Warm up to a bowl of our vegetable soup. Custom build your own potato at the potato bar. Wet your whistle with an espresso, cappuccino latte, hot chocolate or home brewed iced tea. Finish it all off with homemade carrot cake or perhaps a razorback ear. Open every day 9 a.m. -- 5 p.m. except Monday. (479) 235-8004. Conveniently located downtown at 12 ½ S. Main.
• Forest Hill Always a favorite, year ‘round dining. Serving great steaks and seafood, wood fire oven pizza and full menu. Breakfast, lunch and dinner buffet are family favorites. Don't miss Traditional Sunday Brunch with dessert extravaganza -- locals' favorite. Private parties and weddings. Open 7 a.m. -- 9 p.m. (479) 253-2422. Located on Hwy. 62 East, next to Holiday Inn, you can't miss it.
• Gaskins Cabin Steakhouse Meander north along the old railroad bed on Hwy. 23 for three miles to an original bear hunter's cabin to enjoy Angus steaks. Prime rib is the house specialty. Private club license. Opens at 5 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday. (479) 253-5466.
• Horizon Enjoy delicious char-grilled steaks, fish, 18-layer lasagna and the most beautiful view of Beaver Lake imaginable. Beer and wine. Open Monday through Saturday, serving dinner 5 - 8:30 p.m. (479) 253-5525. Drive west on US62 to Hwy. 187, then left on Mundell Rd. -- it's only 15 minutes from downtown.
• Little Bread Co. Great sandwiches start with great, homebaked bread, and plenty of loaves come out of LBC's ovens. A wide variety of sandwiches, from egg florentine to peanut butter and jelly. Be sure to take home a sack of breadsticks. Open 7 a.m. -- 7 p.m. daily, 7 a.m. -- 3 p.m. Sunday. (479) 253-0800. Located in the Quarter, on US62E.
• Local Flavor Breakfast, lunch and dinner specials. Taste why this is a local favorite. Brand new menu and decor. Call for seasonal hours. (479) 253-9522. Located across from the trolley depot on S. Main St.
• Mud St. Café Experience Eureka's local legend! Relax into the cozy atmosphere and enjoy award winning coffees and espresso. Start your day off with sour cream pancakes or a specialty omelet. They offer the freshest salads and wraps, great burgers and Reubens or simply indulge in one of their unforgettable desserts. Full bar and local art. Open 8 a.m. - 3 p.m., except Wednesday. Dinner Friday and Saturday evenings.(479) 253-6732. Located at the confluence of Spring and Main Sts.
• Myrtie Mae's Bountiful and scrumptious comes to mind. Sunday brunch buffet is a sight to behold. Open every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Cocktails available. (479) 253-9768. Located in the Inn of the Ozarks.
• New Delhi Cafe Breakfast, lunch and dinner all served all day. Enjoy Belgian waffles with a cup of espresso, or delve into an East Indian samosa. Authentic East Indian dishes. Salads and sandwiches are delicious. (479) 253-2525. Located at 2 N. Main St., just a hop, skip and jump from Main and Spring Sts.
• The Paper Rose Tea Room Discover a unique dining experience sit in or dine out overlooking Eureka Historic District. Only the freshest ingredients are used and prepared to order. For the Adults Beer and wine are available. For the kids check out the revised children menu. Downtown delivery is available (479) 253-2212. Centrally located at 481/2 Spring Street. Open Tuesday-Saturday 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
• Riverview A convenience store and bait shop near the river and lake where you can get a hot, homemade breakfast or lunch. Also serving hot pizza or sizzling hamburgers. Deli sandwiches and cold beer, too. Open everyday shortly after sunup. 253-8367. Hwy 62 W on the White River.
• Rowdy Beaver Restaurant & Tavern Join Rowdy at the Rowdy Beaver Restaurant and Tavern in a fun family atmosphere. They serve lip-smacking good steaks, seafood and chicken, along with a full bar for the thirsty folks. Sweets lovers -- you won't be able to resist their desserts! Open seven days a week for lunch and dinner. 253-8544. Hwy 62 W.
• Sparky's Do not leave town without getting your Sparky's fix. It's fun, the food ranges from burgers to enchiladas to grilled steaks and fish. Full bar and 99, that's 99, brands of beer, and good wine, too. Daily except Sunday. (479) 253-6001. On US 62. You can't miss it.
• Terimisu @ Creekside A charming coffee house overlooking the creek featuring Cappuccinos, Lattes, Blended Iced Coffees, Smoothies and homemade snacks and desserts. Indoor and outdoor seating. Open Wed., Thurs., Sun. 8 a.m.-6 p.m., Fri. & Sat. 8 a.m.-8 p.m. At 55 N. Main near Mountain St. (479) 253-5655.
• War Eagle Mill Outpost Don't miss one of the most picturesque cafes in Eureka Springs, located inside a cave in the lobby of Basin Park Hotel. Open for breakfast and lunch, they offer a full line of coffee drinks and everything to eat from War Eagle biscuits and gravy to cinammon rolls to Panini breakfast sandwiches on homemade bread. Open 7 days a week 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. (479) 253-7411.