Dining ~ Indulge with favorite tastes
We've always known that our town has more quality restaurants per capita than any other destination in the region, and now we have the proof. Several Eureka Springs eateries placed high on the Arkansas Times reader's poll, which honors the best in several categories, from fine dining to just plain great food, shop often, play hard and work up an appetite when you come to town so you can truly enjoy the Eureka Springs dining experience. Still working on that New Year's resolution? Then enjoy a variety of fresh salads and vegetarian entrees, including homemade soups guaranteed to take the chill off any blustery day. Try a veggie Reuben, a spinach wrap, succulent portabella burger, or a hearty sandwich packed with guacamole, sprouts and tomatoes served on fresh baked whole-grain bread. For the carnivores in the herd, nothing tempts the senses like sizzling fajitas, or a thick, pepper-crusted steak. Ethnic foods also rule here, and you can choose from an entire spectrum of Italian tastes, sink your teeth into genuine Czech-German food, or try East Indian cuisine. Still hungry? Browse the listings of great restaurants below; with so many choices, from four-star gourmet to down-home comfort food, there's something yummy on everyone's plate.
* Autumn Breeze -- A beautiful fine-dining steak and seafood house. The charbroiled steaks are what steak lovers are looking for and the extensive menu offers lots of other choices, including lobster tails, Chicken Cordon Bleu, Coquilles St. Jacques and rack of lamb. If excellent service, a lovely view and a world-class wine list appeal to you, then you've got to try Autumn Breeze. Chef Bloch's soufflés are the perfect ending to an outstanding dining experience. Open Monday through Saturday, 5 -- 9 p.m. (479) 253-7734. Hwy 23, 1/2 mi. S of Hwy 62.
* Balcony Bar and Restaurant -- Enjoy hearty appetizers during the week inside or on the covered deck of the Basin Park Hotel. Friday night fish fry is not to be missed. Battered cod or baked chicken complemented with War Eagle Mill's famous cornbread. Fish Fry Fridays are done in a magnificent way, featuring the freshly-milled organic grains of War Eagle Mill. Battered Cod and Catfish, corn bread, hush puppies and hot rolls, plus cole slaw and all the fixin's makes the the Balcony the place to be on Frydays. Full bar. Open for lunch and dinner. (479) 253-7837. 12 Spring St.
* Cafe Amoré -- Delicious Italian food made fresh daily by Chef Katherine. Full bar and plenty of free off-street parking. Serving dinner 5 p.m. -- 9 p.m. Open Tuesday thru Sunday. (479) 253-7192. 2070 E. Van Buren.
* Café Santa Fe -- Southwestern food served in a fun, bright café on N. Main St. at Mill Hollow Rd. Southwestern specialties and daily lunch specials. Full bar and lots of free parking. Open daily at 11 a.m. (479) 253-9617. 179 N. Main.
* Café Soleil -- Delicious, healthy, beautiful and affordable menu choices, and beer and wine or herbal teas for your pleasure. Open 11 a.m. -- 9 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. Sunday 10 a.m. -- 9 p.m. Brunch 'til 2 p.m. Located on US62E. (479) 253-2345.
* Caribe -- Goodbye KJ - Hello Chef Marc! KJ Zumwalt has relinquished the helm at Caribe to Chef Marc. With a new menu, new look, new staff and new attitude, Caribe is ready for your inspection. Game room with pool, darts, video golf and other games. In the bar - big screen TV and a state-of-the-art juke box. Caribe is open for lunch at 11 a.m. Menu offered Tuesday-Thursday until 9 p.m. and Friday-Sunday until 10 p.m. On Hwy 62 West - 309 W. Van Buren - (479) 253-8102.
* Crystal Dining Room -- Superior dining for the discriminating traveler in the gorgeous 1886 Crescent Hotel ballroom, just off the lobby. Breakfast, lunch and dinner served daily, with Sunday brunch in the tradition of grand hotels. (479) 253-9652. 75 Prospect Ave.
* DeVito's -- Enjoy fine, authentic, Italian family recipes in an intimate setting in the heart of downtown. Fresh trout is the specialty of the house, but DeVito's has received accolades for its entire menu in an impressive number of state and national publications. Dinner served Thursday through Monday, 5-9 p.m. Full bar. New! Dine-in / take-out Deli. Thursday through Monday 11:30 a.m. -- 2 p.m. (479) 253-6807. 5 Center St.
* Dinner Bell Ranch -- Hop on a trusty steed and ride the wide, country trails to enjoy cowboy cooking around a campfire for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Reservations required. (479) 253-2900. 4.5 mi. S of Hwy 62 on Rockhouse Rd.
* Ermilio's -- Old-country Italian family recipes make Ermilio's like a trip to Tuscany. Choose your pasta, then choose your sauce, and try those meatballs! Full bar. Reopening for the season Fri., March 21. Serving dinner 5 - 9 p.m. (479) 253-8806. 26 White St.
* Eureka Swiss Café -- Dine in, take out or take in the view at Eureka Swiss Café. Enjoy their made-to-order sandwiches on homemade wheat rolls. Warm up to a bowl of our vegetable soup. Custom build your own potato at the potato bar. Wet your whistle with an espresso, cappuccino latte, hot chocolate or home brewed iced tea. Finish it all off with homemade carrot cake or perhaps a razorback ear. Open every day 9 a.m. -- 5 p.m. except Monday. (479) 235-8004. Conveniently located downtown at 12 ½ S. Main.
* Forest Hill -- Always a favorite, year 'round dining. Serving great steaks and seafood, wood fire oven pizza and full menu. Breakfast, lunch and dinner buffet are family favorites. Don't miss Traditional Sunday Brunch with dessert extravaganza -- locals' favorite. Private parties and weddings. Open 7 a.m. -- 9 p.m. (479) 253-2422. Located on Hwy. 62 East, next to Holiday Inn, you can't miss it.
* Gaskins Cabin Steakhouse -- Meander north along the old railroad bed on Hwy. 23 for three miles to an original bear hunter's cabin to enjoy Angus steaks. Prime rib is the house specialty. Private club license. Opens at 5 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday. (479) 253-5466.
* Horizon -- Enjoy delicious char-grilled steaks, fish, 18-layer lasagna and the most beautiful view of Beaver Lake imaginable. Beer and wine. Open Monday thru Saturday, serving dinner 5 - 8:30 p.m. (479) 253-5525. Drive west on US62 to Hwy. 187, then left on Mundell Rd. -- it's only 15 minutes from downtown.
* Local Flavor -- Breakfast, lunch and dinner specials. Taste why this is a local favorite. Brand new menu and decor. Call for seasonal hours. (479) 253-9522. Located across from the trolley depot on S. Main St.
* Mud St. Café -- Experience Eureka's local legend! Relax into the cozy atmosphere and enjoy award winning coffees and espresso. Start your day off with sour cream pancakes or a specialty omelet. They offer the freshest salads and wraps, great burgers and Reubens or simply indulge in one of their unforgettable desserts. Full bar and local art. Open 8 a.m. - 3 p.m., except Wednesday. (479) 253-6732. Located at the confluence of Spring and Main Sts.
* Myrtie Mae's -- Bountiful and scrumptious comes to mind. Sunday brunch buffet is a sight to behold. Open every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Cocktails available. (479) 253-9768. Located in the Inn of the Ozarks.
* New Delhi Cafe -- Breakfast, lunch and dinner all served all day. Enjoy Belgian waffles with a cup of espresso, or delve into an East Indian samosa. Authentic East Indian dishes. Salads and sandwiches are delicious. (479) 253-2525. Located at 2 N. Main St., just a hop, skip and jump from Main and Spring Sts.
* The Paper Rose Tea Room -- Discover a unique dining experience sit in or dine out overlooking Eureka Historic District. Only the freshest ingredients are used and prepared to order. For the Adults Beer and wine are available. For the kids check out the revised children menu. Downtown delivery is available (479) 253-2212. Centrally located at 481/2 Spring Street. Open Tuesday-Saturday 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Riverview -- A convenience store and bait shop near the river and lake where you can get a hot, homemade breakfast or lunch. Also serving hot pizza or sizzling hamburgers. Deli sandwiches and cold beer, too. Open everyday shortly after sunup. 253-8367. Hwy 62 W on the White River.
* Rowdy Beaver Restaurant & Tavern -- Join Rowdy at the Rowdy Beaver Restaurant and Tavern in a fun family atmosphere. They serve lip-smacking good steaks, seafood and chicken, along with a full bar for the thirsty folks. Sweets lovers -- you won't be able to resist their desserts! Open seven days a week for lunch and dinner. Great food 'til late. 253-8544. Hwy 62 W.
* War Eagle Mill Outpost -- Don't miss one of the most picturesque cafes in Eureka Springs, located inside a cave in the lobby of Basin Park Hotel. Open for breakfast and lunch, they offer a full line of coffee drinks and everything to eat from War Eagle biscuits and gravy to cinammon rolls to Panini breakfast sandwiches on homemade bread. Open 7 days a week 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. (479) 253-7411.