Just thinking of it makes the mouth water: burgers and steaks fresh from the grill, tempting salads, farm fresh fruits and veggies on the table. Even better, you don't have to slap on that embarrassing apron to cook it--the best of summer is served to you in eateries across Eureka Springs. Grab that fork and dive into American classics, like a thick steak covered in sautéed onions and mushrooms, or indulge in the wide variety of ethnic cuisines the town has to offer: Italian, Mexican, Tex-Mex, Mediterranean, Czech-German, East Indian, Cajun and more. Try a few local delights, like catfish, fried chicken and drop-dead-delicious apple pie, or go all out with filet mignon and baked brie with raspberry sauce; it's all good, and it's all tempting. Of course, taste is the main star, but atmosphere has a role, too. You can enjoy an elegant dinner aboard a train, dine above downtown on a balcony, get cozy at a local pub, or watch a four-star sunset while eating out on a deck. Before you know it, it's time for dessert. Try a death-by-chocolate cheesecake, delicate pastries, fresh strawberry shortcake or perhaps something luscious with meringue. It's all good, guilt-free, and waiting just for you. Take a moment to browse through the listings below, and pick out a few restaurants that you can't resist, then enjoy the culinary bounty of Eureka Springs.
* Angler's Grill -- All-you-can-eat catfish is the specialty at this completely remodeled restaurant. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Beer and wine. Open daily. Cold beer and big screen TV in Coop Dog's Monday through Saturday from 7:30 p.m. Happy hour Monday through Thursday 2 p.m. -- 5 p.m. Live entertainment Friday nights. (479) 253-4004. On Hwy. 62 W. at the former Crest location.
* Autumn Breeze -- A beautiful fine-dining steak and seafood house. The charbroiled steaks are what steak lovers are looking for and the extensive menu offers lots of other choices, including lobster tails, Chicken Cordon Bleu, Coquilles St. Jacques and rack of lamb. If excellent service, a lovely view and a world-class wine list appeal to you, then you've got to try Autumn Breeze. Chef Bloch's soufflés are the perfect ending to an outstanding dining experience. Open Monday through Saturday, 5 -- 9 p.m. (479) 253-7734. Hwy 23, 1/2 mi. S of Hwy 62.
* Balcony Bar and Restaurant -- Enjoy hearty appetizers during the week inside or on the covered deck of the Basin Park Hotel. Friday night fish fry is not to be missed. Battered cod or baked chicken complemented with War Eagle Mill's famous cornbread. Fish Fry Fridays are done in a magnificent way, featuring the freshly-milled organic grains of War Eagle Mill. Battered Cod and Catfish, corn bread, hush puppies and hot rolls, plus cole slaw and all the fixin's makes the the Balcony the place to be on Frydays. Full bar. Open for lunch and dinner. (479) 253-7837. 12 Spring St.
* Bavarian Inn -- Walk into an Alpine setting and enjoy authentic Czech-German cuisine, steaks and fish. One minute from downtown on US62W, open daily from 5--9 p.m. Full bar and fabulous homemade desserts. (479) 253-7741. 325 W. Van Buren.
* Café Santa Fe -- Southwestern food served in a fun, bright café on N. Main St. at Mill Hollow Rd. Southwestern specialties and daily lunch specials. Full bar and lots of free parking. Open daily at 11 a.m. (479) 253-9617. 179 N. Main.
* Dinner Bell Ranch -- Hop on a trusty steed and ride the wide, country trails to enjoy cowboy cooking around a campfire for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Reservations required. (479) 253-2900. 4.5 mi. S of Hwy 62 on Rockhouse Rd.
* Ermilio's -- Old-country Italian family recipes make Ermilio's like a trip to Tuscany. Choose your pasta, then choose your sauce, and try those meatballs! Full bar. Serving dinner daily 5 - 9 p.m. (479) 253-8806. 26 White St.
* Eureka Springs & North Arkansas Railway. Lunch and dinner served in the dining car, just like in the old days. Dine in style and enjoy a scenic excursion aboard the train. 299 N. Main. Dining reservations required. (479) 253-9623.
Eureka Swiss Café -- Dine in, take out or take in the view at Eureka Swiss Café. Enjoy their made-to-order sandwiches on homemade wheat rolls. Warm up to a bowl of our vegetable soup. Custom build your own potato at the potato bar. Wet your whistle with an espresso, cappuccino latte, hot chocolate or home brewed iced tea. Finish it all off with homemade carrot cake or perhaps a razorback ear. Open every day 9 a.m. -- 5 p.m. except Monday. (479) 235-8004. Conveniently located downtown at 12 ½ S. Main.
* Gaskins Cabin Steakhouse -- Meander north along the old railroad bed on Hwy. 23 for three miles to an original bear hunter's cabin to enjoy Angus steaks. Prime rib is the house specialty. Private club license. Opens at 5 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday. (479) 253-5466.
* Horizon -- Enjoy delicious char-grilled steaks, fish, 18-layer lasagna and the most beautiful view of Beaver Lake imaginable. Beer and wine. Open Monday through Saturday, serving dinner 5 - 9 p.m. (479) 253-5525. Drive west on US62 to Hwy. 187, then left on Mundell Rd. -- it's only 15 minutes from downtown.
* Marquee's -- A new name, new menu, new look, new staff and new attitude. Adult Game room with pool, darts, video golf and other games. In the bar - big screen TV and a state of the art juke box. Open Mon-Thurs. 4 p.m. - 10 p.m., Fri. & Sat., 11a.m. - 11 p.m., Sun. 12 noon - 10 p.m. Closed Tues. On Hwy 62 West, at the former Caribe location (309 W. Van Buren). (479) 253-8102.
* Mud St. Café -- Experience Eureka's local legend! Relax into the cozy atmosphere and enjoy award winning coffees and espresso. Start your day off with sour cream pancakes or a specialty omelet. They offer the freshest salads and wraps, great burgers and Reubens or simply indulge in one of their unforgettable desserts. Full bar and local art. Open 8 a.m. - 3 p.m., except Wednesday. (479) 253-6732. Located at the confluence of Spring and Main Sts.
* Myrtie Mae's -- Bountiful and scrumptious comes to mind. Sunday brunch buffet is a sight to behold. Open every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Cocktails available. (479) 253-9768. Located in the Inn of the Ozarks.
* New Delhi Cafe -- Breakfast, lunch and dinner all served all day. Enjoy Belgian waffles with a cup of espresso, or delve into an East Indian samosa. Authentic East Indian dishes. Salads and sandwiches are delicious. (479) 253-2525. Located at 2 N. Main St., just a hop, skip and jump from Main and Spring Sts.
* The Paper Rose Tea Room -- Discover a unique dining experience sit in or dine out overlooking Eureka Historic District. Only the freshest ingredients are used and prepared to order. For the Adults Beer and wine are available. For the kids check out the revised children menu. Downtown delivery is available (479) 253-2212. Centrally located at 481/2 Spring Street. Open Tuesday-Saturday 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Port Orleans -- "Take a trip to New Orleans without leaving Carroll County." This special restaurant features great Cajun cooking and a relaxed New Orleans atmosphere. Smoked steaks, Cajun prime rib and seafood-stuffed catfish are just the beginning. They serve organic rice and vegetables, as well as homemade bread and desserts. Member, Slow Foods U.S.A. Open Friday and Saturday only, 5 - 9 p.m. Located 15 minutes west of Eureka Springs off Hwy. 62W on Hwy. 187. See Eureka Springs West map in this issue for location. (479) 253-5258.
* Roadhouse Restaurant -- "Many have eaten here....Few have died." Bring your appetite! The Roadhouse is known for good food and lots of it. Big breakfasts and hearty lunches and dinners are served indoors and on the covered deck. Daily specials. Beer and wine. Open 8 a.m. - 9 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 8 a.m. - 2 p.m. Sunday. One mile east of Passion Play Road on Hwy. 62E. (479) 363-0001.
* Rowdy Beaver Restaurant & Tavern -- Join Rowdy at the Rowdy Beaver Restaurant and Tavern in a fun family atmosphere. They serve lip-smacking good steaks, seafood and chicken, along with a full bar for the thirsty folks. Weekend Champagne Brunch. Lunch buffet Monday - Friday. Open seven days a week for lunch and dinner. Late night menu also. 253-8544. Hwy 62 W.
* Sparky's -- Do not leave town without getting your Sparky's fix. It's fun, the food ranges from burgers to enchiladas to grilled steaks and fish. Full bar and 99, that's 99, brands of beer, and good wine, too. Daily except Sunday. (479) 253-6001. On US 62. You can't miss it.
* War Eagle Mill Outpost -- Don't miss one of the most picturesque cafes in Eureka Springs, located inside a cave in the lobby of Basin Park Hotel. Open for breakfast and lunch, they offer a full line of coffee drinks and everything to eat from War Eagle biscuits and gravy to cinammon rolls to Panini breakfast sandwiches on homemade bread. Open 7 days a week 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. (479) 253-7411.