This weekend, shine your wingtips and get ready for a great, old-fashioned rockabilly dance-off at Chelsea's Friday night.
That's because The Rumblejetts of Kansas City -- two-time winner of the Pitch Music Award for Best Country/Rockabilly Band -- headlines at Chelsea's Friday.
For the past 14 years The Rumblejetts have been spreading the rockabilly gospel all across the Midwest.
The Rumblejetts have released several CDs, each recorded at the legendary Sun Studio in Memphis, Tennessee. (Sun Studio likes the group so much that the hard-working trio even was asked to play at the 50th Anniversary of Rock and Roll celebration at Sun Studio with Scotty Moore, DJ Fontana, Billy Swan, Sam the Sham, Issac Hayes and several other legendary Sun recording artists.)
In 2005, The Rumblejetts released "Roostina" and "Cool Down Baby" in 2006, both of which were critically praised by critics at such magazines as Ol' Skool Rodz, Rockabilly magazine, and Blue Suede News. Another acclaimed album followed in 2010, "Summertime Apples," and they just a few months ago released their fourth, "Motor Honey."
The trio has developed a strong following among custom car enthusiasts, playing numerous events for the hot rod gang.
The Rumblejetts opened for the Stray Cats and Brian Setzer Rockabilly Riot tour in 2007 and 2011, and for Dwight Yoakum about a decade ago.
Also in 2007, The Rumblejetts were selected as a finalist on the CBS Early Show's "Living Room Live" competition. The year prior to that, the band made the Top 10 on CMT's Studio 330 nationwide contest.
The Rumblejetts perform with high energy sets and fun on-stage antics, helping make them a favorite in Kansas City and the Midwest region. Pitch.com -- the Midwest's primary source for live music news and reviews -- says that "Live, The Rumblejetts throw together a staggering mix of uptempo rockabilly and classic Sun Records covers."
The band features Jason "49" Ford on doghouse bass, "Diamond" Jim Holopter on guitars, and Jud Kite on drums, all contributing vocals.
One critic writes: "Despite what is a loose-feeling presentation, these guys are also simultaneously tight -- a neat trick. Jud's drums and Ford's steady slap-bass work lay a great foundation for Holopter to play over, and there's not a cut on the record that wouldn't be a gas to dance to in the live show."
Check out a video of The Rumblejetts and listen to some sample tunes at Kristal's Northwest Arkansas Live Music Blog, www.carrollconews.com/blogs/livemusicinn....
The Rumblejetts show at Chelsea's begins around 9 p.m. and admission will be $5. Chelsea's is at 10 Mountain Street, on the corner with Center Street. And the dance floor is plenty big enough, so if you've got some swing dance moves, now is the time to bring it!
Following is the entertainment schedule for Eureka Springs venues for the coming week:
* Chelsea's, 10 Mountain St., 479-253-6723: Blue Moon, 8:30 p.m.
* Jack's Place / Centerstage Live, 37 Spring St., 479-253-2219: Karaoke with DJ Goose, 8 p.m.
* New Delhi Cafe, 2 N. Main St., 479-253-2525: Dardanella, 6:30 p.m.
* Rowdy Beaver Tavern, 417 W. Van Buren, 479-253-8544: Bike Night / Karaoke with Big Dawg, 7 p.m. to 1 a.m.
* Squid and Whale, 37 Spring St., 479-253-7147: Open Mic Musical Smackdown with Bloody Buddy, 7 p.m.
* Berean Coffee House, 4032 E. Van Buren, 479-244-7495: Live music, 7 p.m.
* Cathouse / Pied Piper, 82 Armstrong St., 479-363-9976: Jesse Dean and Jodi Andrews, 8 p.m.
* Chaser's, 169 E. Van Buren, 479-253-5522: Muddy Water, 8 p.m.
* Chelsea's, 10 Mountain St., 479-253-6723: The Rumblejetts, 9 p.m.
* Eureka Live!, 35 N. Main St., 479-253-7020: DJ & Dancing 9 p.m. to close
* Jack's Place / Centerstage Live: Red Ambition, 9 p.m.
* The Lumberyard, 104 E. Van Buren: Bike Night, 4 to 9 p.m. or later, food and drink specials, music and prizes
* New Delhi Cafe: Darrell Gleason, 6:30 p.m.
* Rowdy Beaver Tavern: One Way Road, 7:30 p.m.
* Squid & Whale: Black Water, 9:30 p.m.
* Voulez-Vous Lounge, 63A Spring St., 479-363-6595: SpinRad with special guest and award-winning San Deigo guitarist/singer Steph Johnson, 8 p.m.
* Cathouse / Pied Piper: Jesse Dean and Jodi Andrews, 8 p.m.
* Chaser's: Virgo Night with Eighties Rewind, 8 p.m.
* Chelsea's: Sam and The Stylees, 9 p.m.
* Eureka Live!: Live DJ and Dancing, 9 p.m. to close
* Jack's Place / Centerstage Live: Football on big screen / Red Ambition, 9 p.m.
* The Lumberyard: The Sean Clavin Band, 9 p.m.
* New Delhi Cafe: Dardanella, 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.; Brick-Fields Band, 6:30 p.m.
* Rowdy Beaver Tavern (Highway 62): One Way Road, 7:30 p.m.
* Squid & Whale: Black Water, 9:30 p.m.
* Voulez-Vous Lounge: SpinRad with special guest and award-winning San Diego guitarist/singer Steph Johnson, 8 p.m.
Sunday, Sept. 16
* Eureka Live!: Customer Appreciation Night specials 5 p.m. to close
* New Delhi Cafe: Gospel Sunday Brunch with Brick-Fields Band, 11:30 a.m.; Magic Mule, 4-8 p.m.
* Squid and Whale: Stiff-Necked Fools (reggae from Shreveport, La.), 7:30 p.m.
* * *
Lively Entertainment is written and complied by Managing Editor Kristal Kuykendall. Deadline for venues to submit their events for inclusion is noon Mondays. Events should be emailed to email@example.com and/or phoned in to 479-981-9419 by noon Monday each week. Kuykendall also writes Kristal's Northwest Arkansas Live Music Blog, which includes video and song clips of band she previews each weekend, as well as additional previews and recommendations of major, not-to-be-missed live concerts throughout the region. The blog is at www.CarrollCoNews.com/blogs/livemusicinn....