Announcements & meetings
* CERT class offered -- A Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) class will start on Sept. 18 at the Berryville Fire Department starting at 6 p.m. It will meet on Tuesday night for 5 weeks with a disaster drill on Saturday, Oct 20. The class is open to county residents.
* Cocktails for a cause -- Cocktails For A Cause will take place on Thursday, Sept. 20 from 5 to 7 p.m. to benefit the Eureka Springs Historical Museum. The event will take place at the Stone House, located at 89 South Main Street in downtown Eureka Springs. The cover charge of $10 plus 33 percent of drink sales will be donated to the Historical Museum and the Eureka Springs Downtown Network, both 501c3 non profits.
* Carroll County music group annual meeting -- The public is invited to attend The Carroll County Music Group's annual meeting, which will be held at the Holiday Island Geraldi's at 6 Parkwood Drive at 5 p.m. on Sept. 20, for pizza or light dinner followed by a brief business meeting at 6 p.m. We will elect our officers for the 2012-2013 year and start planning for the year. Proposed projects, including the second "We've Got Talent Concert," will be discussed for approval. For more information, please contact Mary Dolce at 479-253-4939.
* Shakin' in the Shell Festival to be held Sept. 22 -- Festival organizers are finalizing plans for the 7th annual Shakin' in the Shell Fest which will be held on Saturday, Sept. 22 from 9:45 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Missouri Highway 39 in Shell Knob, 400 yards west on Farm Road 1255. The day's events will include the Blue Eye School Band as well as afternoon and evening music by The Maxwells and What's It To Ya. There will also be a variety of tasty foods, the Shriner's beer garden, craft and merchant vendors, a classic car show and lots of games and prizes. Mark your calendar to attend this family fun event! Contact Rick Piro by email for additional details at email@example.com.
* Friends of the Barn -- The Friends of the Historic Holiday Island Barn invite everyone to the fall meeting and potluck on Sunday, Sept. 23. Come see the renovated vestibule which, after completion, was painted by a volunteer group from Walmart Central office. For more info, contact Jim Hirnisey at 479-253-6285 or Mary Anne Hagedorn at 479-253-2235 or 479-244-5895.
* Quorum Court -- The next Quorum Court Personnel Committee meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, Sept. 26 at 10 a.m. in the Jury Room at the Eastern District Courthouse.
* Quorum Court Water Committee -- The next Quorum Court Water Committee meeting is scheduled for Friday, Sept 21 at 8:30 a.m. (prior to the QC meeting) at the extension office.
* CCN Republican Headquarters Open House -- On Saturday, September 22, an open house will be held by the Carroll County Republican Committee to celebrate the opening of this year's campaign headquarters. The event will take place from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. rain or shine at the office of State Representative candidate Bob Ballinger on US Highway 62 next to Montgomery Whitely Realty in Berryville.
There will be free hot dogs and fixings with drinks and cookies. Stop by and visit and discuss issues that are of concern to you. These candidates want to work for you. While there pick up yard signs and bumper stickers to show support for an excellent slate of candidates.
* Autumn Equinox Grove of the Elders -- The Autumn Equinox Grove of the Elders will be held at the Open-Air Meditation Sanctuary at 268 County Road 3027, Eureka Springs on Saturday, September 22, from 5 to 8 p.m. Celebrate and share autumn's gifts: Harvest, Maturity, Wisdom, Community, Abundance, and the Transition to Winter. Walk though the OM Sanctuary, receive the wisdom of local community elders, and enjoy the magic that is Earth. Honor and invoke Gaia's bounty with a delightful apple ritual. Bring Vegan harvest foods to share and instruments for making music together. For more informatin, call 479.363.7024.
* Ozarks Senior Providers -- The next meeting of the Ozark Senior Providers Network will be held on Tuesday, Sept. 25 at the Area Agency on Aging located in Berryville. Those planning to attend please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
* Holiday Island Photography Guild -- The Holiday Island Photography Guild is excited to have noted Berryville photographer Charles Chappell speak at their upcoming meeting on September 25. Mr. Chappell's work is well-represented in art shows both locally and across the country. He will discuss various aspects of nighttime photography, including time lapse, motion blur, and proper settings.
The Photo Guild meets on Tuesday, September 25 at 3 p.m. in Room A (lower level) of the Holiday Island Clubhouse. As always, the public is invited to join the group. To get the most benefit out of this session, bring your camera and operating manual. For more information, call Steve at 479-253-7075.
* 11th annual District 6110 Rotary golf tournament -- The 11th annual District 6110 golf tournament will be held Sept. 27 at Lost Springs Country Club in Rogers. Four-person scramble, shotgun start at 1 p.m. Lunch and registration begins at 11:30 a.m. $400 per team, $100 per person, all proceeds to benefit the Rotary Foundation. Over $10,000 in prizes. Call 479-631-9955 for details.
* Local candidates forum -- The Eureka Springs Chamber of Commerce will host a forum for all candidates running for city aldermen positions on Tuesday, Oct. 2 at 5:45 p.m. at the Auditorium downtown. Those wanting to register to vote before the Oct. 8 deadline can do so at any time by stopping by the Chamber in Pine Mountain Village.
* AARP driver's safety class -- Drivers aged 50 and over are invited to an AARP Driver's Safety Class to be held on Tuesday, Oct. 9, from 8:45 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. (including a short lunch break) at First United Methodist Church of Eureka Springs, at 195 Huntsville Road.
The fee to participate is $12 for AARP members and $14 for non-members, which includes all course materials.
Plan to bring a sack lunch, and enjoy interaction with your classmates. The class size is limited, so register early! Call Sara Knight at 479-363-9800 to register and/or for more information.
* Audiobooks and eBooks: The Carroll County Library System now has eBooks and audiobooks available for download from your library's website. Users may browse the library's Library2Go website, check out with a valid library card, and download to PC, MacŪ, and many mobile devices. For help call the Eureka Springs 479-253-8754 public library.
* Furniture bank and used book store open: Wildflower Chapel's low cost Furniture Bank and Used Book Store is located behind Wildflowers Thrift Store and Chapel on US 62E across from Hill Country Hardware. For more information, contact Bill Grissom, 479-252-5108.
* Overeaters Anonymous: Thursdays at 10:30 a.m. in the Coffee Pot building behind Land O' Nod at US 62 and Hwy. 23. More information: Barbara 479-244-0070.
* Coffeehouse and outreach: Berean Coffeehouse of Calvary Chapel of Eureka Springs hosts Youth Nights monthly with live music, activities and prizes. Watch this space for dates. Regular services 7 p.m. Wednesday nights and 10 a.m. Sunday in the back of the Coffeehouse on US 62E, next to the old Victoria Inn. Coffeehouse open to the public 7 a.m. -- 1 p.m. Tuesday -- Saturday with extra hours and live music on Fridays 5 -- 10 p.m. Worship Circle Fridays at 7 p.m.
* Occupy: If you can't join the occupation, join the Facebook group (type in Occupy Eureka Springs to find the group). More info: 479-253-6963.
* Casual Sundays at FUMC: Come as you are and enjoy a free meal every Sunday night from 5:30 -- 6 p.m. at the First United Methodist Church in the Fellowship Hall. Rachel and Larry Brick will share music during the supper. All are invited to stay for the Casual Worship Service from 6 to 7 p.m. Open Doors, Open Hearts, Open Minds. Hwy. 23S across from Autumn Breeze Restaurant. The public is invited and children are welcome. For more information, call 479-253-8987or (479) 981-0482.
* Drug problem?: The Eureka Springs Coffee Pot Narcotics Anonymous Group meets Fridays at 5:30 p.m. at the Coffee Pot building behind Land O' Nod Motel. Contact Shawn H. (417) 271-1084 or Robin S. 479-244-6863 for more information.
* Al-Anon Family Group: meetings Eureka Springs AFG meets at the Coffee Pot behind the Land O' Nod Motel Sundays at 11:30 a.m., Mondays and Tuesdays at 7 p.m.
* Coffee Break Women: AFG meets at Faith Christian Family Church, Hwy. 23S, on Tuesdays at 9:45 a.m. For info: 479-363-9495.