It's a rockabilly rock-n-roll weekend!
This weekend will be packed full of some awesome, dynamic, fun, danceable rockabilly, classic rock and classic country tunes from two bands playing Friday at Squid and Whale and Saturday at Chelsea's.
Friday at Squid and Whale Pub features The Eskimo Brothers, a high-energy alt-country outfit from Nashville, Tenn. The group says it covers everything from Lady Gaga to Buck Owns, with everything from Carl Perkins, Elvis, all three Hanks, Reckless Kelly, AC/DC, Neil Diamond and Sublime filling in the songs between.
Sounds fun to me!
The Eskimo Brothers are regular performers at Nashville's well-known Whiskey Bent Saloon, where their high-speed, rockabilly style and on-stage antics (they do tricks, and they're pretty good lookin' to boot!) are big crowd-pleasers.
Their show at Squid and Whale Friday begins at 9 p.m. and there is no cover.
This Saturday's band at Chelsea's looks to be one of the most well-traveled bands to visit Eureka Springs in some time.
Three Bad Jacks, a modern rockabilly group based in the Los Angeles area, is one of Los Angeles' hardest working bands -- and biggest club draws, pounding it out, non-stop, for well over a decade.
Averaging more than 250 shows a year and selling out clubs from Hollywood to New York City and having headlined numerous European festivals, the groups' dedication and rebel spirit have long since been honed to perfection.
This rings true in every note that singer-guitarist Elvis Suissa, bassist Ruben Ibarra and drummer Adam Jones strike, each of whom display a mastery and understanding of the underground American big-beat heritage.
While use of the word "mature" may seem to contradict Three Bad Jacks' international reputation as rock 'n' roll wild men, their mix of the sensitive and savage is impressive, and their ability to navigate such a broad musical spectrum is even more so.
But the music business is all about experience, and with records sales topping 150,000 to date, with numerous songs placed on television and video game soundtracks and having long since graduated from selling out hometown venues like the Troubadour, House of Blues and Galaxy Theater, the group also has sharing bills and touring with the likes of Joe Strummer, Jerry Lee Lewis, Dwight Yoakam, Social Distortion and Bouncing Souls -- Three Bad Jacks is, indeed, nothing less than a force of nature, according to critics and their own resume.
An Examiner.com reviewer recently wrote after seeing them perform:
"Full of energy and attitude, Three Bad Jacks put on a great show. They'll play anything the audience requests and they make sure to spend plenty of time with their fans before and after the show. If you haven't seen Three Bad Jacks, make sure to catch their next show when they come back to the stage after working on their next album."
Three Bad Jacks' show at Chelsea's starts around 9:30 p.m. and admission will be $5.
Following is the live music schedule for Eureka Springs venues this weekend:
THURSDAY, SEPT. 27
* Jack's Place / Centerstage Live, 37 Spring St., 479-253-2219: Karaoke and DJ Goose, 8 p.m. till midnight.
* New Delhi Cafe, 2 N. Main St., 479-253-2525: Live music, 6 p.m.
* Squid and Whale, 37 Spring St., 479-253-7147: Open Mic Musical Smackdown with Bloody Buddy & friends, 7 p.m.
FRIDAY, SEPT. 28
* Berean Coffee House, 4032 E. Van Buren, 479-244-7495: Live music, 7 p.m.
* Cathouse / Pied Piper, 82 Armstrong St., 479-363-9976: Sarah Hughes, 8 p.m.
* Chaser's, 169 E. Van Buren, 479-253-5522: Karaoke with Eddie Valen, 8 p.m.
* Chelsea's, 10 Mountain St., 479-253-6723: Captain Super Awesome Super Hero Party, 9 p.m.
* Eureka Live!, 35 N. Main St., 479-253-7020: DJ & Dancing 9 p.m. to close
* Jack's Place / Centerstage Live: Act A Fool, 9 p.m.
* The Lumberyard, 104 E. Van Buren: Bike Night, 4 to 9 p.m. or later, food and drink specials, DJ on demand and prizes; DJ & Karaoke, 9 p.m.
* New Delhi Cafe: Live music, 6 p.m.
* Rowdy Beaver Den, 45 Spring St., 479-363-6444: Mike Garrett, 7 p.m.
* Rowdy Beaver Tavern, 417 W. Van Buren, 479-253-8544: Blew Reed and the Flatheads, 6 p.m.
* Squid & Whale: The Eskimo Brothers, 9 p.m.
SATURDAY, SEPT. 22
* Cathouse / Pied Piper: Sarah Hughes, 8 p.m.
* Chaser's: Eddie Valen Band, 8 p.m.
* Chelsea's: Three Bad Jacks, 9 p.m.
* Eureka Live!: DJ & Dancing 9 p.m. to close
* Jack's Place / Centerstage Live: Act a Fool, 9 p.m.
* The Lumberyard: Sean Clavin Band, 9 p.m.
* New Delhi Cafe: Live music, 6 p.m.
* Rowdy Beaver Den: John Harwood, 7 p.m.
* Rowdy Beaver Tavern: Third Degree, 6 p.m.
* Squid and Whale: The Great Scotts, 9 p.m.
SUNDAY, SEPT. 23
* Chelsea's: The Boys of Bedlam, 4-8 p.m.
* Eureka Live!: Customer Appreciation Night specials 5 p.m. to close
* New Delhi Cafe: Live music, 4:30-8 p.m.
* Rowdy Beaver Den: Skillet Lickers, 2 p.m.
* Squid and Whale: Local Kine local musicians showcase, 8 p.m.