* Scouting for Food -- Starting on Saturday, Nov. 3 and continuing the following week, area Scouts are placing bags on doorknobs; at 9 a.m., Saturday, Nov. 10 the Scouts will collect the bags. Please have bags with your donation of canned goods on your front porch and the scouts will take your donated goods to Flint Street Pantry at Flint Street Church. All food is collected for the needy of Eureka Springs. The Scouts are exciting about running and collecting bags of food. They understand that they are doing a good thing and they need all the support they can get from the community. Thank you for caring and a generous donation. For more information or questions about "Scouting for Food" contact Bruce Bieschke at 479-253-9209.
* AARP to hold driver's safety class -- AARP will hold a drivers' safety class on Saturday, Nov. 10, at the Holiday Island Fire Station on Holiday Island Drive at 8:30 a.m. Veterans and their spouses may attend for free. There is a cost for the book. For more information, call Howard Wallace at 479-253-5310.
* EUUF to host Ellen Foncannon Stephenson -- The Eureka Unitarian Universalist Fellowship at 17 Elk Street will host Ellen Foncannon Stephenson on Sunday, Nov. 11 at 11 a.m. Stephenson will present a musical program of original composition and seasonal favorites from her new CD release "Winterwood: Finding Your Way Home." Among her many accomplishments, Ellen is an ASCAP composer for the Ozarks Chorale, a member of Arkansas Artist in Education, and the church organist for the Holiday Island Community Church. For details, call 479-253-0929 or go to wwwuuism.net/-eurekauuf.
* Penn Memorial Church celebrates 100 years -- First Baptist - Penn Memorial Church, located at 100 Spring St. in Eureka Springs (across from the Post Office) is celebrating its "100 Years of Hope" on Nov. 11 at 11 a.m. at their church.
The theme will be "Voices From the Stained Glass" and will feature guest's right from the church's famous stained glass windows speaking, along with a special program to commemorate First Baptist -- Penn Memorial's Centennial Homecoming Celebration.
For further information, please contact the church at 479-253-9770.
* Chamber of Commerce announces Awards Banquet speaker -- Mike Bishop, President/ CEO of the Greater Eureka Springs Chamber of Commerce, recently announced that the Executive Director of the Branson Airport, Jeff Bourk will be the featured speaker at the 62nd Annual Membership Meeting and Awards Banquet on Tuesday, Nov. 13, at the Best Western Inn of the Ozarks. New this year will be a Live Auction, which together with the Silent Auction, will offer some great deals and terrific values. Money raised through these auctions help fund the daily operation of the Visitor Center. Sponsors for this event are Arvest, Best Western Inn of the Ozarks, Can-U-Canoe Riverview Cabins, Community First Bank, Cornerstone Bank, Creative Printing and Design and Keels Creek Winery. Tickets are $30 per person and are on sale at the Chamber of Commerce office. For more information call 479-253-8737.
* Turkey Trot registration due -- Those interested in signing up for the Don Gammie Turkey Trot should do so before Nov. 14 to receive the official 2012 Turkey Trot T-shirt. The fun run, a fundraiser for the Grassy Knob Volunteer Fire Association, starts at 8:30 a.m. on Thanksgiving Day at Lake Leatherwood Park, with a 3.1 mile trail run or 1 mile walk/run option. Registration is $15 and includes a spaghetti dinner the night before at the Grassy Knob Community Center, and a T-shirt ... if you register before Nov 14. For more information, call 479-363-9820 or go to firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Christian depression workshop -- Christview Ministries is offering a workshop titled "Where Is God in the Midst of Depression?" on Saturday, Nov. 17, from 9 a.m. - noon at the Christview Ministries Center at 992 CR 309 in Eureka Springs. The workshop is for those struggling with depression or those wanting to help someone who is depressed. Workshop leader Kayla Geigle is a licensed mental health counselor who seeks to live in the love and truth of Christ. Since many people suffer depression during the holidays, this workshop can help make a difference this holiday season. The suggested donation is $25.00. Register by contacting Judy Turner, 479-253-5865 or email@example.com.
* Greg Brady to be Grand Marshall for Christmas parade -- The Greater Eureka Springs Chamber of Commerce is proud to announce that television, screen and stage star Barry Williams will serve as Grand Marshall for the 2012 Christmas Parade slated for Friday Nov. 30. Barry Williams is best known for his teen idol role of Greg Brady in the hit television sit-com "The Brady Bunch." All area bands, churches, businesses, civic organizations and individuals are urged to join us. Cash prizes will be awarded for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in four categories including Commercial, Non-profit, Bands and other. Deadline to register for the parade is Nov. 23. There is no entry fee for the parade, which will begin promptly at 6 p.m. For more information or registration call 479-253-8737, 1-800 6EUREKA or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration forms are available at the Chamber Visitor Center located in the Village at Pine Mountain.
* Elementary needs mentors -- During the last two elementary school years our community volunteer mentor program has helped our kindergarten through fourth grade students improve their reading and math skills. This program has been so successful that community mentoring has proven to be an important element of student academic and personal success. Again, this school year, your elementary school is in need of several more volunteer mentors to assist kindergartners in learning ABC's and 123's. We also have small group positions open with 1st and 2nd graders. Whichever you choose, the teacher will have lessons prepared for you and will be close by if you have any questions. Please consider signing up for a couple of hours one day a week to help children become successful learners. Contact Donna Kesner at 479-253-8704 if interested. She and the teachers will be extremely excited to hear from you!
* NEW Cardio Circuit Class at the BCC -- The Berryville Community Center will offer a new "Cardio Circuit" Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4 -- 5 p.m The class offers low-impact/ high intensity cardio as well as range of motion and toning exercise. Please call 870-423-3139 for more information or contact the Berryville Community Center on Facebook.
* Ham radio club! -- To all interested in Ham Radio, the Little Switzerland Amateur Radio club meets every 2nd Thursday of the month at noon at the Pizza Hut on Hwy. 62 in Eureka Springs. For more information contact email@example.com.
* Auction Night at the Hoe-Down -- The Ozark Mountain Hoe-Down is holding live auctions on Tuesday nights. Anyone who has anything to sell can bring it the theater, 3140 E. Van Buren, on Tuesday mornings. There is no charge to put an item in the auction; the seller receives the sold price minus the auctioneer's commission. Doors open at 5 p.m., with Col. Bill Williams taking the stage to start the bidding at 6 p.m. No charge for admittance. Seats can be reserved by calling the Hoe-Down, 479-253-7725 or go to www.ozarkmountainhoedown.com.
* Zumba Fitness classes now offered in two area locations -- Dawn Anderson, Zumba Fitness Licensed Instructor, is now offering Zumba Fitness classes at the Berryville Community Center on Wednesdays and Fridays at 5:30 p.m. and at the Green Forest Train Depot on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:45 p.m. Classes are one hour and consist of a combination of high energy Latin, International, and Top 40 inspired music and dance moves. Please contact Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 479-366-3732 for more information.
* Audiobooks and eBooks: The Carroll County Library System now has eBooks and audiobooks available for download from your library's website. Users may browse the library's Library2Go website, check out with a valid library card, and download to PC, MacŪ, and many mobile devices. For help call the Eureka Springs 479-253-8754 public library.
* Furniture bank and used book store open: Wildflower Chapel's low cost Furniture Bank and Used Book Store is located behind Wildflowers Thrift Store and Chapel on Highway 62E across from Hill Country Hardware. For more information, contact Bill Grissom, 479-252-5108.
* Overeaters Anonymous: Thursdays at 10:30 a.m. in the Coffee Pot building behind Land O' Nod at US 62 and Hwy. 23. More information: Barbara 479-244-0070.
* Coffeehouse and outreach: Berean Coffeehouse of Calvary Chapel of Eureka Springs hosts Youth Nights monthly with live music, activities and prizes. Watch this space for dates. Regular services 7 p.m. Wednesday nights and 10 a.m. Sunday in the back of the Coffeehouse on US 62E, next to the old Victoria Inn. Coffeehouse open to the public 7 a.m. -- 1 p.m. Tuesday -- Saturday with extra hours and live music on Fridays 5 -- 10 p.m. Worship Circle Fridays at 7 p.m.
* Occupy: If you can't join the occupation, join the Facebook group (type in Occupy Eureka Springs to find the group). More info: 479-253-6963.
* Casual Sundays at FUMC: Come as you are and enjoy a free meal every Sunday night from 5:30 -- 6 p.m. at the First United Methodist Church in the Fellowship Hall. Rachel and Larry Brick will share music during the supper. All are invited to stay for the Casual Worship Service from 6 to 7 p.m. Open Doors, Open Hearts, Open Minds. Hwy. 23S across from Autumn Breeze Restaurant. The public is invited and children are welcome. For more information, call 479-253-8987or 479-981-0482.
* Drug problem?: The Eureka Springs Coffee Pot Narcotics Anonymous Group meets Fridays at 5:30 p.m. at the Coffee Pot building behind Land O' Nod Motel. Contact Shawn H. 417-271-1084 or Robin S. 479-244-6863 for more information.
* Al-Anon Family Group: meetings Eureka Springs AFG meets at the Coffee Pot behind the Land O' Nod Motel Sundays at 11:30 a.m., Mondays and Tuesdays at 7 p.m.
* Coffee Break Women: AFG meets at Faith Christian Family Church, Hwy. 23S, on Tuesdays at 9:45 a.m. For info: 479-363-9495.