Police investigate string of burglaries downtown

Friday, November 30, 2012

Eureka Springs Police are investigating a string of burglaries at businesses over the Thanksgiving holiday.

Police said a suspect attempted to break in to three businesses in the downtown area but was only successful in one attempt. The suspect tried to remove doors from the hinges at two locations but was unsuccessful because of hydraulic arms on the inside, made to prevent the door from being opened from the outside.

The businesses targeted were Crazy Bone and J.A. Nelson Gallery, Twice Born and Wild Blue Yonder.

"It's been a long time since we have had multiple burglaries in one night," said Eureka Springs Assistant Police Chief Thomas Achord.

On Friday, Nov. 23, at approximately 6:57 a.m., meter officers found a gray lock box containing cash and receipts belonging to Twice Born, and messages were left for the owners. Officers checked the business but found it secure, according to Eureka Springs Police Department call logs.

At 8:46 a.m., a caller at Crazy Bone reported that pins from the door hinges were missing from the front door of the business. Upon inspection, she found that nothing was missing from inside.

"This is really a shock and I'm happy that no one got in," said Crazy Bone general manager Mary Webb. "It's Eureka, and I've never had anything like this happen and it wasn't a good feeling."

At 9:18 a.m., a caller reported a break-in at Twice Born and reported several things scattered or missing. Management for Twice Born declined to comment when asked by the Lovely County Citizen about the situation.

On Saturday, Nov. 24, a caller with Wild Blue Yonder reported that someone had tampered with the front door of the business. It is unknown whether Wild Blue Yonder was open for business on Friday, as no one could be reached for comment.

Twice Born was not as fortunate. The suspect was able to enter the business and several things were taken and scattered around, police said.

"We believe that they are all related and we are hoping it will lead to a suspect," Achord said. Police gathered forensic evidence from all three businesses through blood at the scene, and they are now waiting on the crime lab report to come back.

The police also have digital media through surveillance videos and they are combing through the video in hopes to make a positive ID.

"We believe the person was on foot and the last known locale is Main Street and Spring Street," Achord said.

No arrests had been made as of Wednesday morning in connection with the burglaries.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: