Announcements & meetings
* EUUF to host "We Are What We Eat and How Much We Move" -- The Eureka Springs Unitarian Universalist Fellowship will host "We Are What We Eat and How Much We Move" on Sunday, Jan. 6 at the fellowship hall at 17 Elk St. Carrie Marry is a practicing holistic health coach and a graduate of the Institute for Integrative Nutrition in New York. Cathy Jackson, a certified master personal trainer, LPN and certified lifestyle coach, will also be on hand.
For details, call 479-253-0929.
* Bereavement support groups -- "Beginning to Heal Together" for those who have lost a child or grandchild will meet for the first time on Jan. 5, 2013, at St. Elizabeth Parish Center from noon to 1:30 p.m. For details, call 479-253-1229.
* Wildflowers Christian Ministry women and children's shelter fund
Wildflowers Christian Chapel Women and Children Shelter Fund Goal is $444,000 dollars. To date the amount raised is $23,00 dollars. Please send donations to Wildflowers Ministry 6789 Hwy 62 West Eureka Springs AR 72632. Any amount will help us get this much needed Shelter opened.
* St. James community dinners -- St. James' Sunday night community suppers will continue every Sunday except Dec. 30 until the end of March, 2013. The suppers are held each Sunday from 5-6:30 p.m. at the church, located at 28 Prospect Ave. in Eureka Springs. Area restaurants will again provide the meals. Sponsoring restaurants include Chelsea's Pizza, Ermilio's, Garden Bistro, Grand Taverne, Local Flavor, New Delhi and Squid and Whale. St. James's suppers welcome anyone in the community. There is no charge for the meal. For details, call 479-253-8610.
* Wildflowers Food Bank -- Wildflowers Food Bank is open every Friday from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. If you are in need of food, bring your ID and come to the Food Bank. If you are out of food anytime, you can call us Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and we will try to help you with enough food to get you to our Friday food bank time. Wildflowers low-cost Thrift Store is open every Monday-Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., along with our low cost Furniture Store. Note: We may be closed on Monday and Tuesday until after the first of the year. Call first at 479-363-6408. Or call Wildflowers Ministry at 479-253-5108.
* Elementary needs mentors -- Eureka Springs elementary school is in need of several more volunteer mentors to assist kindergartners in learning ABC's and 123's. We also have small group positions open with 1st and 2nd graders. Whichever you choose, the teacher will have lessons prepared for you and will be close by if you have any questions. Please consider signing up for a couple of hours one day a week to help children become successful learners. Contact Donna Kesner at 479-253-8704 if interested.
* Ham radio club! -- To all interested in Ham Radio, the Little Switzerland Amateur Radio club meets every 2nd Thursday of the month at noon at the Pizza Hut on Hwy. 62 in Eureka Springs. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Audiobooks and eBooks: The Carroll County Library System now has eBooks and audiobooks available for download from your library's website. Users may browse the library's Library2Go website, check out with a valid library card, and download to PC, MacŪ, and many mobile devices. For help call the Eureka Springs 479-253-8754 public library.
* Furniture bank and used book store open: Wildflower Chapel's low cost Furniture Bank and Used Book Store is located behind Wildflowers Thrift Store and Chapel on Highway 62E across from Hill Country Hardware. For more information, contact Bill Grissom, 479-252-5108.
* Overeaters Anonymous: Thursdays at 10:30 a.m. in the Coffee Pot building behind Land O' Nod at US 62 and Hwy. 23. More information: Barbara 479-244-0070.
* Coffeehouse and outreach: Berean Coffeehouse of Calvary Chapel of Eureka Springs hosts Youth Nights monthly with live music, activities and prizes. Watch this space for dates. Regular services 7 p.m. Wednesday nights and 10 a.m. Sunday in the back of the Coffeehouse on US 62E, next to the old Victoria Inn. Coffeehouse open to the public 7 a.m. -- 1 p.m. Tuesday -- Saturday with extra hours and live music on Fridays 5 -- 10 p.m. Worship Circle Fridays at 7 p.m.
* Occupy: If you can't join the occupation, join the Facebook group (type in Occupy Eureka Springs to find the group). More info: 479-253-6963.
* Casual Sundays at FUMC: Come as you are and enjoy a free meal every Sunday night from 5:30 -- 6 p.m. at the First United Methodist Church in the Fellowship Hall. Rachel and Larry Brick will share music during the supper. All are invited to stay for the Casual Worship Service from 6 to 7 p.m. Open Doors, Open Hearts, Open Minds. Hwy. 23S across from Autumn Breeze Restaurant. The public is invited and children are welcome. For more information, call 479-253-8987or 479-981-0482.
* Drug problem?: The Eureka Springs Coffee Pot Narcotics Anonymous Group meets Fridays at 5:30 p.m. at the Coffee Pot building behind Land O' Nod Motel. Contact Shawn H. 417-271-1084 or Robin S. 479-244-6863 for more information.
* Al-Anon Family Group: meetings Eureka Springs AFG meets at the Coffee Pot behind the Land O' Nod Motel Sundays at 11:30 a.m., Mondays and Tuesdays at 7 p.m.
* Coffee Break Women: AFG meets at Faith Christian Family Church, Hwy. 23S, on Tuesdays at 9:45 a.m. For info: 479-363-9495.