Honky Suckle to headline at Chelsea's
If you dig Mumford and Sons, The Avett Brothers, Old Crow Medicine Show and the Legendary Shack Shakers, you will surely dig the band performing at the Chelsea's Corner Cafe & Bar this Saturday, Jan. 5.
Honky Suckle, based in Springfield, Mo., is comprised of four talented musicians in upright bassist and vocalist Dave Smith; Kyle Young on harmonica and vocals; drummer and vocalist Adam Howell; and Eric Howell on the resonator, guitar, banjo and vocals.
Yes, that's four vocalists. And I've heard this group at Yonder Mountain String Band's Harvest Music Festival; they do not disappoint.
Blending rock and punk influences with roots music's raw power, they offer a level of heartfelt intensity seldom heard, particularly in a "bar band."
And their unique blend of four-part harmonies round out the sound that crowds have come to love. Rowdy live shows and genuine emotion leave people wanting more.
Honky Suckle plays at around 9:30 p.m. Saturday. Chelsea's is 21 and up and admission is $5.
On Friday night, if you like bluegrass and "hill-people music," Chelsea's is also the place to be as Springbilly will be taking the stage. A side project of Mountain Sprout fiddler Blayne Thiebaud, Springbilly also includes Travis Graham, Cameron Dunaway, Danny Coy and Mark "Slim" Nelson.
The group plays originals as well as covers of everything from well-known bluegrass standards (think Bill Monroe) to newer hits like "Methamphetamine" buy Old Crow Medicine Show -- which I've heard them cover, and they do it quite well.
Springbilly's tunes are great comfort music for the soul on a cold, winter's night, so stop putting on your pajamas as 5:30 p.m. just because it's already dark outside, reclaim your social life and go visit some friends this weekend at Chelsea's, or somewhere.
Although we had a helluva time reaching the venues this week to find out who is playing this weekend at each place for this week's schedule -- hence the many entries that read simply "live music" -- here is what we could find out about this weekend's entertainment schedule for Eureka Springs venues:
THURSDAY, JAN. 3
* Chelsea's, 10 Mountain St., 479-253-6723: Jazz Night, 9 p.m.
* Rowdy Beaver Tavern, 417 W. Van Buren, 479-253-8544: Adult Comedy Show, 4 p.m.
* Squid and Whale, 37 Spring St., 479-253-7147: Open Mic Musical Smackdown featuring Bloody Buddy and Friends, 7:30 p.m.
FRIDAY, JAN. 4
* Berean Coffee House, 4032 E. Van Buren, 479-244-7495: Live music, 7 p.m.
* Cathouse / Pied Piper, 82 Armstrong St., 479-363-9976: Live music, 8 p.m.
* Chaser's, 169 E. Van Buren, 479-253-5522: Live music, 9 p.m.
* Chelsea's: Springbilly, 9 p.m.
* Eureka Live!, 35 N. Main St., 479-253-7020: DJ & Dancing 9 p.m. to close
* The Lumberyard, 104 E. Van Buren: DJ & Karaoke, 8 p.m.
* New Delhi Cafe, 2 N. Main St., 479-253-2525: Live music, 6:30 p.m.
* Rowdy Beaver Den, 45 Spring St., 479-363-6444: Live music, 7 p.m.
* Rowdy Beaver Tavern, 417 W. Van Buren, 479-253-8544: Ladies Choice Jukebox Dance Party, 7 p.m.
* Squid & Whale: Skinny Gypsies, 8 p.m.
* Voulez-Vous Lounge, 63A Spring St., 479-363-6595: Live music, 9 p.m.
SATURDAY, JAN. 5
* Cathouse / Pied Piper: Live music, 8 p.m.
* Chaser's: Live music, 9 p.m.
* Chelsea's: Honky Suckle, 9 p.m.
* Eureka Live!: DJ & Dancing 9 p.m. to close
* The Lumberyard: Live music, 9 p.m.
* New Delhi Cafe: Live music, 6:30 p.m.
* Rowdy Beaver Den: Live music, 7 p.m.
* Rowdy Beaver Tavern: The Dirty Roots, 7 p.m.
* Squid and Whale: Charlie Can't Surf and Friends, 8 p.m.
* Voulez-Vous Lounge: Live music, 8 p.m.
SUNDAY, JAN. 6
* Eureka Live!: Customer Appreciation Night specials 5 p.m. to close
* New Delhi Cafe: Live music, 1 to 4 p.m.
* Rowdy Beaver Den: Open Mic Night, 5 p.m. to 1 a.m.
* Squid and Whale: "Local Kine" Local Musicians Showcase, 7 p.m.
MONDAY, JAN. 7
* Chelsea's: Springbilly, 9 p.m.