Dispatch Desk

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

December 24

5:08 a.m. -- An anonymous caller complained of a dog barking on Jay Lane. Animal Control responded but could find no one home, including the alleged dog.

1:06 p.m. -- A caller reported vandalism and theft from a church up off the Historic Loop. On Christmas Eve. That's a new low.

8:46 p.m. -- A caller asked if an officer could look at his vehicle because it looked as if it might have been keyed. The officer determined it was not and the caller decided he would buff the scratch out.

December 26

11:36 a.m. -- A caller reported a reckless driver passing in the turn lane. The responding officer noticed the vehicle in traffic but did not have cause to stop it.

12:51 p.m. -- A caller from a local motel reported watching a male subject who had just checked out punch a little boy twice. She confronted the individual and there was a verbal altercation. The subject left with the child before she called the police. The responding officer made contact with her for more information.

5:11 p.m. -- The principal of the high school asked an officer to check on a male subject in a blue car in the parking lot because she had asked him to leave. He had.

December 27

4:22 a.m. -- A caller reported a white dog running loose near White Street, but the dog had already been impounded.

8:54 a.m. -- An officer responded to a residence on Thomas Drive for a court-ordered civil stand by. The orders were satisfied without incident.

2:58 p.m. -- A caller filed a violation of a no-contact order. The caller advised she was eating in a restaurant and did not realize the person she had the order against was there too. Oops. The person saw her and began texting and calling her. A report was taken.

4:40 p.m. -- A caller from the hospital reported a patient wanting to leave who was medicated and in no shape to do so. The responding officer made it sure the patient got home without incident.

December 28

5:15 p.m. -- A fire alarm in the kitchen of a facility on Huntsville Road turned out to be nothing to worry about.

7:52 p.m. -- A patrolling officer noticed four vehicles parked at a local motel where he felt they should not be. The owner of the motel advised it was open from today "until the first of the year unless it snows, in which case they would be open until the snow melted away."

December 29

2:50 a.m. -- The hospital called to report a male who had come in with a broken nose and lacerations his face saying he had been assaulted. The responding officer spoke with the people involved and took a report.

6:49 a.m. -- A caller from a local inn reported when he came to work he noticed blood drops around the front door and thought it was suspicious. A report was taken.

8:10 a.m. -- A caller reported mailboxes knocked down all the way from Alamo Street to Emporia. A report was taken.

3:17 p.m. -- An alarm on Paxos Street turned out to be false.

3:31 p.m. -- A caller from North Main Street reported he had "just stopped a guy (his roommate) from driving drunk" but felt he would give it another shot as soon as he got a chance.

3:41 p.m. -- The same caller called back to say he had stopped his roommate again and this time he took the guy's keys. He felt an altercation was about to happen. Apparently though the roommate came to his senses and will stay in the house "until he is sober." Always drink at home, dude.

11:32 p.m. -- A caller from a local gas station asked police to check out "a male in a green truck [who] had been sitting in his truck out by the air pump for about an hour and had yet to come into the store." Police discovered he was just waiting on somebody.

December 30

12:01 a.m. -- A caller from a club downtown reported her boyfriend holding his hand over her mouth while they were fighting. The responding officers found it was only a verbal argument, and the two were separated for the night. Nothing good happens after midnight.

3:38 a.m. -- A caller from a local hotel advised a drunken friend was trying to drive home. "We have his keys but he is yelling and screaming at everyone." Officers responded and everyone ended up "in their rooms, where they were all intoxicated."

7:59 a.m. -- A caller reported seeing two males crawling under a building near the Lumberyard. The responding officer found the two men trying to locate a cellphone. Its last known coordinates were in that area. Under the building? Really?

10:36 a.m. -- An officer responding to a welfare check call on College Street found EMS was needed for a male who had fallen. EMS took him to the hospital.

11:35 a.m. -- A caller from a bar downtown reported money stolen. The responding officer talked with several people and the money was returned without incident. No charges were filed.

9:18 p.m. -- A caller from a hotel downtown reported her husband had assaulted her earlier in the day at their residence out in the county. The Carroll County Sheriff's department was notified.

10:59 p.m. -- A caller from a local motel reported a father and son drunk and fighting in front of a three-year-old in their room.

11:07 p.m. -- A caller from a local eldercare facility reported a resident had fallen and possibly broken her hip. EMS took her to the hospital.

December 31

3:54 a.m. -- A caller from the top of the big hill going west down to Leatherwood reported a blue pickup had run into the bluff and was blocking traffic. The driver had a bump on his nose. The investigating officer found the vehicle abandoned. The truck was towed and report pending to find the driver.

6:35 a.m. -- A caller from the hospital reported a man who came in and said he'd been robbed and beaten up. He had lacerations on his face. Since the incident occurred in the county, the sheriff was notified.

January 1

12:07 a.m. -- An officer on patrol noticed fireworks going off behind Pizza Hut. The people there advised they had just set off a few for the New Year and were done for the night. The officer gave them a warning.

1:03 a.m. -- A caller from Basin Park reported someone had set off the Baby Jesus alarm. (Sounds like a good name for a band.) The responding officer found baby and manger to be okay. He turned the alarm off.

1:56 a.m. -- A female caller from up on Spring Street advised her male friend had fallen and lacerated his shin and needed EMS. EMS and the responding officer found the patient didn't want help, so he signed off and they all went on their ways.

5:44 p.m. -- A caller from a local motel reported a confrontation with guests because the motel would not return their drivers license information. Just wanted the police to know. The guests went to another motel.

January 2

9:29 p.m. -- A caller from Kansas Street reported losing a big shaggy black, white and brown dog with "Thor" written on its bandana. Please call if you find Thor.

3:17 p.m. -- A store employee from a downtown shop called to report a "suspicious man in a beanie and black jacket" walking through the store with his hands in his pocket making them nervous. The responding officer found the mystery man to be a local just trying to get warm.

3:53 p.m. -- A caller from Pivot Rock Road reported her pets were let out while she was gone and returned when she got home. No one answered the door when police arrived to talk to her. Gone again.

7:00 p.m. -- The shop with the mystery man earlier in the day left their door cracked and set the alarm off. No harm done.

9:17 p.m. -- A caller from over around the school reported all her pets were gone -- her black and white puppy Paco, her tan and black Socks, and her black and white collie Buddy. None have collars and all missing for a couple hours.

January 3

10:34 a.m. -- A caller from a formerly joyous motel near the old high school around past that three-way stop reported two men behind the property by the swimming pool. Turns out they were from the bank, there to take over the property.

5:45 p.m. -- Two cars had it out up on top of Planer Hill in front of the bank. No injuries.

January 4

7:41 a.m. -- The desk clerk at a prominent downtown hotel requested assistance with a white male who was passed out on the fourth floor lobby floor and would/could not return to his room. EMS went to check on him and took him to the hospital.

6:22 p.m. -- A dark red Pontiac Sunfire was reported driving erratically heading into town. The responding officer found it at a local drive-through liquor store and arrested the driver for DWI, driving left of center and driving with a broken tail light. Bond wasn't cheap.

7:19 p.m. -- A false alarm was reported from a shop up on Spring Street.

8:49 p.m. -- A routine traffic stop at a local gas station resulted in the arrest of a female for driving on a suspended license.

January 5

6:00 p.m. -- A caller from Holiday Island reported a 7 lb. blonde lost Chihuahua/Yorkie mix. Did they think the dog had made it to Eureka? Unsure.

8:32 p.m. -- An anonymous caller from Shelton Drive reported the smell of tires and wood burning nearby. No controlled burns had been reported and no sign of the fire was found.

9:48 p.m. -- A caller from a local apartment complex reported people being drunk and loud, "slamming, ranting and shouting," and filed a noise complaint. The responding officer advised them to keep at down. They apologized and said they were "just excited about the game." Go team!

11:41 p.m. -- A routine traffic stop resulted in the arrest of a male individual for DWI #1 and careless and imprudent driving.

January 6

3:52 p.m. -- A two-vehicle accident at the junction of Hwy 23 North and US Hwy 62 resulted in no injuries.

5:48 p.m. -- A caller from Ridgeway asked for help with her son, who was "under the influence of a drug." She called back five minutes later to advise officers to ignore the call, that her husband had the situation under control. Half an hour later she called back to ask officers because the son was "out of their control." Officers responded and contacted the juvenile intake officer. At that point the juvenile calmed down and decided he would stay at home. Good move.

January 7

3:31 a.m. -- Officers responded to a noise request from College Street about a barking dog and spoke with the owner, who took the dog inside.