* Fundraiser for Payne -- Robert "Mark" Payne, a native of Eureka Springs and son of the late Shirley Payne, has been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. For all of those that know him and his family, we ask for your help in getting him and his wife, Sandy, through this troubled time. A Benefit Account has been opened at Community First Bank to help with expenses. We thank you for any support that you can give them.
* Good Shepherd Valentine cheesecakes -- The Good Shepherd Humane Society is now taking orders for Valentine's Day homemade cheesecakes to raise money to open a new Berryville Doggie Thrift Shop to replace the one completely destroyed in a recent fire. Orders will be taken through Feb. 7 at 479-253-9115 or online at goodshepherd-hs.org. Orders are prepaid only.
* Quilters Guild monthly meetings -- Whether you're an experienced quilter or interested in learning a new art form, the Holiday Island Quilters' Guild cordially invites you to its monthly meetings at the Clubhouse in Room A, lower level at 1 Country Club Drive in Holiday Island. Meetings are normally held on the 3rd Thursday of each month. For more information, call 363-6442 or visit the website https://sites.google.com/site/holidayisl....
* Krazo umbrella decorating -- Krazo sponsored "Umbrella Decorating" sessions will take place at the New Delhi Café. Entry form at www.Parade.Ureeka.Org. Info at www.Krazo.Ureeka.Org, email Dan@Ureeka.Org, or call 479-981-9551.
* Eureka Gras Sponsor Appreciation Day Saturday -- Eureka Gras' Christening of the Fleet will take place on Saturday, Jan. 26 at 5 p.m. at the Rowdy Beaver Restaurant on Highway 62 in Eureka Springs. For 2013, Jack Miller designed and constructed "Aquarius Eureka" with a large rotating waterwheel pouring into a basin representing Basin Spring, and the motif of the float appears to be drifting by on waves topped by three beautiful water nymphs. In the interest of gratitude to Jack Miller, a special award will be presented to him by Zeek Taylor with an introductory announcement by Al Hooks. For more info visit www.Krazo.Ureeka.Org, email Dan@Ureeka.Org or call (479) 981-9551
* Good Shepherd Pancake Benefit -- A benefit Pancake Breakfast for the Good Shepherd Humane Society will delight diners on Saturday, Jan. 26, from 7 to 11 a.m., at the Berryville Fire Station, 400 N. Main St. Breakfast also includes fresh fruit toppings, bacon, sausage, milk, orange juice, and coffee. Money raised from the breakfast will go toward reopening a new Doggie Thrift Store in Berryville to replace the one recently destroyed by fire. Tickets are $5. Children under 5 eat free. This deal can't be beat, so come early and don't forget your appetite.
* Metaphysical Society speaker to focus on doors to subconscious -- The Metaphysical Society will host Gregory Prendergast on Jan. 28 to teach on entryway into alternate levels of consciousness. His methods include Affirmations, Auto suggestion, Hypnosis, Ego State, Age Regression and evaluating and rectifying the seeds of our past that inflict themselves into and limit our current lives. The Eureka Springs Metaphysical Society meets on Mondays from 7 to 9 p.m., at 68 W. Mountain St., downstairs in the Christian Science edifice.
* Olde Tyme Rug Hookers host open house -- Olde Tyme Rug Hookers will have a public showing of hand-made wool hooked rugs on Tuesday, Jan. 29, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., at the Best Western Inn of the Ozarks. Rug Hooking vendors will be on hand with products available for purchase, For details, call (417) 889-6135 or email email@example.com.
* WCCAD meeting set for Jan. 29 -- January's meeting of the Western Carroll County Ambulance District has been rescheduled from Jan. 22 to Jan. 29, at 4 p.m. in the HISID offices at Holiday Island.
* Purple House retirement party planned -- On Tuesday, Feb. 5, the Eureka Springs Hospital Guild will host a retirement party for Wilma Hagguist, who is stepping down as the Purple House manager after 17 years.The public is invited to attend. The party begins at 1:30 p.m. in the Cedar Room at the Best Western Inn of the Ozarks.
* Master Naturalists Classes to Start -- NWA Master Naturalists are accepting applications for spring training classes. Classes begin Feb. 16 at NWACC and continue Saturdays through May 18 at various locations. Information and applications are available at http://home.arkansasmasternaturalists.or... or email nwamnContact@mn4arkansas.org. For information call 479-925-7097.
* St. John's Auxiliary-Berryville announces 2013 scholarship program -- SJAB is pleased to announce a scholarship application is now open for any graduating Carroll County high school student who plans to go into the field of medicine. High School counselors have been provided an application, or students may contact N. S. Stamps, SJAB Scholarship Committee, 386 C. R. 3082, Berryville, AR 72616 for an application. Applications and transcript copy must be completed and mailed with a postmark no later than noon, March 1, 2013.
* Wildflowers Christian Ministry women and children's shelter fund -- Wildflowers Christian Chapel Women and Children Shelter Fund Goal is $444,000. To date the amount raised is $23,000. Please send donations to Wildflowers Ministry 6789 Hwy 62 West Eureka Springs AR 72632. Any amount will help us get this much needed Shelter opened.
* St. James community dinners -- St. James' Sunday night community suppers will continue every Sunday until the end of March, 2013. The suppers are held each Sunday from 5-6:30 p.m. at the church, located at 28 Prospect Ave. in Eureka Springs. St. James's suppers welcome anyone in the community. There is no charge for the meal. For details, call 479-253-8610.
* Ham Radio Club -- For anyone interested in ham radio, the Little Switzerland Amateur Radio Club meets every second Thursday of the month at noon at the Pizza Hut on Highway 62 in Eureka Springs. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Alpena Historical Society -- The newly created Alpena Historical Society now meets every third Saturday of the month, at 10 a.m. at the Old Auman store in Alpena, which is now the courthouse, just off Main street. For more information call 870-437-2440.
* Wildflowers Food Bank -- Wildflowers Food Bank is open every Friday from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. If you are in need of food, bring your ID and come to the Food Bank. If you are out of food anytime, you can call us Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and we will try to help you with enough food to get you to our Friday food bank time. Call first at 479-363-6408. Or call Wildflowers Ministry at 479-253-5108.
* Ham radio club! -- To all interested in Ham Radio, the Little Switzerland Amateur Radio club meets every 2nd Thursday of the month at noon at the Pizza Hut on Hwy. 62 in Eureka Springs. For more information contact email@example.com.
* Audiobooks and eBooks: The Carroll County Library System now has eBooks and audiobooks available for download from your library's website. For help call the Eureka Springs 479-253-8754 public library.
* Overeaters Anonymous: Thursdays at 10:30 a.m. in the Coffee Pot building behind Land O' Nod at US 62 and Hwy. 23. More information: Barbara 479-244-0070.
* Coffeehouse and outreach: Berean Coffeehouse of Calvary Chapel of Eureka Springs hosts Youth Nights monthly with live music, activities and prizes. Coffeehouse open to the public 7 a.m. -- 1 p.m. Tuesday -- Saturday with extra hours and live music on Fridays 5 -- 10 p.m. Worship Circle Fridays at 7 p.m.
* Casual Sundays at FUMC: Come as you are and enjoy a free meal every Sunday night from 5:30 -- 6 p.m. at the First United Methodist Church in the Fellowship Hall. Hwy. 23S across from Autumn Breeze Restaurant. The public is invited and children are welcome. For more information, call 479-253-8987or 479-981-0482.
* Drug problem?: The Eureka Springs Coffee Pot Narcotics Anonymous Group meets Fridays at 5:30 p.m. at the Coffee Pot building behind Land O' Nod Motel. Contact Shawn H. 417-271-1084 or Robin S. 479-244-6863 for more information.
* Al-Anon Family Group: meetings Eureka Springs AFG meets at the Coffee Pot behind the Land O' Nod Motel Sundays at 11:30 a.m., Mondays and Tuesdays at 7 p.m.
* Coffee Break Women: AFG meets at Faith Christian Family Church, Hwy. 23S, on Tuesdays at 9:45 a.m. For info: 479-363-9495.