- The Natural Way: A look at metformin (7/31/14)
- The Natural Way: Prescribed drugs vs. supplements (7/24/14)
- The Natural Way: Cat's Claw can help fight cancer (7/17/14)
- The Natural Way: Hormones can have major impact (7/10/14)
- The Natural Way: Words hold true after 15 years (7/3/14)
- What to do for dementia (5/29/14)
- THE NATURAL WAY: Bug bites and how to treat them -- naturally (5/22/14)
The Natural Way: A few tricks up my sleeve
Like you, I have to see medical doctors from time to time and I'm a problem for some of them. I insist that I have the final say over what I do with my body and insist my medical team respect my choices. I do listen closely to their advice and do use prescribed drugs at times. But if a natural choice works better for me that is where I go first.
Here are a few supplements which I have used to keep myself healthy and side effect free. Your doctor may or may not know about these and likely won't suggest them but support the use if you bring it up. The supplements are MSM, probiotics, magnesium, AdvaCal calcium and d-Mannose. I use or have used all of these, personally.
* MSM in an organic sulfur which is found in all living tissue both plant and animal. It is a very fast acting anti inflammatory taking pain away within minutes of swallowing or rubbing onto a body via crème. I know of no downside using up to 6000mg/day in almost all people.
It also helps improve skin (collagen), hair and nails as well as improve cartilage while reducing allergies. I take 1000mg each morning as new research shows a linkage to not having enough MSM in the diet to coronary artery disease. I take 3000mg at bedtime if I need to be able to sleep the night without low back pain.
* Probiotics at low dose, 1 capsule each day, keeps digestion in line as well as supporting immune system health. I've read scientific literature linking inadequate probiotics to plaque buildup in all arteries due to certain proteins not being digested. Right at the end of prescribed antibiotic therapy a course of increase probiotics is called for otherwise trouble can follow. Yoghurt isn't strong enough and not all supplements are equal.
* Magnesium is required for a huge list of body processes yet we don't get enough in our diet. Making this worse is that prescribed drugs like heart medicines decrease absorption of this very needed mineral. I like the chelated type and take one tablet daily.
* AdvaCal calcium is the only calcium I recommend. This is extremely safe as it is so highly absorbed... much higher than any other type or brand. Osteopenia, osteoporosis, bone health and even if you're taking acid blockers like Pepcid indicate the need for this supplement.
* D-Mannose is remarkable and useful when you have an acute or even chronic urinary tract/bladder infection. Fast, to the point and easy to use describes this simple gift of nature.
Change in life is often difficult but seeing is believing. Try these and see!