Entering town on 23 North, it is the first road that greets you. This street is known to
many as Main Street, but in early days it was called Mud Street.The name was given to
the street because of the muddy conditions created by the runoff of both mountains and
overflow from the bordering creek. When the water was high, these conditions created
rough terrain. Within six months of the first settlement, the population of Eureka Springs
exploded to a reported 3,000 residents. By 1886, there were 5,000 people living here,
more than double the current population. The town had boomed virtually overnight.
Today, almost all of the original buildings still stand, but their function has changed
dramatically. These great pieces of architecture are now occupied by fine eateries, hotels
and specialty shops. There lies a big piece of history on this beautiful, bumpy road
— a history that is deservedly restored and preserved by people who had and currently
have a vision.
— Stephanie Stodden, Museum Operations Manager