Virus’ death toll in state tops 800

Thursday, September 3, 2020

By Scott Loftis

CarrollCountyNews@cox-internet.com

More than 60,000 Arkansas residents have now tested positive for the COVID-19 virus and more than 800 have died from it.

Gov. Asa Hutchinson announced at a news conference Tuesday in Little Rock that 273 Arkansans had tested positive for the virus in the previous 24 hours. Hutchinson also announced an additional 18 deaths, bringing the state’s total death toll from the virus to 814.

The 273 positive tests announced Tuesday represented the state’s smallest single-day increase in positive tests since July 7, but Hutchinson acknowledged that testing was also down the previous day. The state saw a surge in new cases late last week. A total of 3,004 new positive tests were announced in a four-day span starting Wednesday, Aug. 26, and concluding Saturday, Aug. 29 — an average of 751 per day.

The state announced a total of 103 deaths in the seven-day period ending Tuesday, although state health secretary Dr. Jose Romero said that six of the deaths announced Monday were delayed in reporting. Romero said one of those deaths actually occurred in June and five in July.

Four hundred twenty three Arkansans were hospitalized because of the virus as of Tuesday afternoon, an increase of 32 from Sunday but still well below the highest number reported by the state.

The Arkansas Department of Health website indicated that Carroll County had 469 cumulative cases as of Monday morning, with 42 active positive cases, 420 cases designated as recovered and seven deaths. The county’s cumulative case total rose by 33 over the previous week, with active positives decreasing by eight.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: