Food is one of the best perks from the holiday season, from Christmas ham to tasty pumpkin pie. Indulge in your favorite foods this season at area restaurants, or cleanse your palate with something different, like the sunny tastes of the Mediterranean, spicy flavors of Tex-Mex, or hearty Czech-German meals guaranteed to banish winter's chill. Had enough turkey? Try a pepper-crusted steak, grilled to perfection, or the sinful goodness of baby back ribs. Vegetarians, never fear: several eateries have selections just for you, from grilled portabella burgers, veggie Reubens, or East Indian pumpkin soup. And what's winter without dessert? Stick with seasonal faves like warm bread pudding, topped with a thick cream sauce, or choose raspberry cheesecake, fresh apple pie or triple-layer chocolate cake. Either way, it's all good, so enjoy the one time of year when diets are thrown out the window, and you can eat what you like. For more dining ideas, browse the listings below.
* Autumn Breeze -- A beautiful fine-dining steak and seafood house. The charbroiled steaks are what steak lovers are looking for and the extensive menu offers lots of other choices, including lobster tails, Chicken Cordon Bleu, Coquilles St. Jacques and rack of lamb. If excellent service, a lovely view and a world-class wine list appeal to you, then you've got to try Autumn Breeze. Chef Bloch's soufflés are the perfect ending to an outstanding dining experience. Open Monday through Saturday, 5 -- 9 p.m. (479) 253-7734. Hwy 23, 1/2 mi. S of Hwy 62.
* Balcony Bar and Restaurant -- Enjoy hearty appetizers during the week inside or on the covered deck of the Basin Park Hotel. Friday night fish fry is not to be missed. Battered cod or baked chicken complemented with War Eagle Mill's famous cornbread. Fish Fry Fridays are done in a magnificent way, featuring the freshly-milled organic grains of War Eagle Mill. Battered Cod and Catfish, corn bread, hush puppies and hot rolls, plus cole slaw and all the fixin's makes the the Balcony the place to be on Frydays. Full bar. Open for lunch and dinner. (479) 253-7837. 12 Spring St.
* Cafe Amoré -- Delicious Italian food made fresh daily by Chef Katherine. Full bar and plenty of free off-street parking. Serving dinner 5 p.m. -- 9 p.m. Open Tuesday thru Sunday. (479) 253-7192. 2070 E. Van Buren.
* Café Santa Fe -- Southwestern food served in a fun, bright café on N. Main St. at Mill Hollow Rd. Southwestern specialties and daily lunch specials. Full bar and lots of free parking. Open daily at 11 a.m. (479) 253-9617. 179 N. Main.
* DeVito's -- Enjoy fine, authentic, Italian family recipes in an intimate setting in the heart of downtown. Fresh trout is the specialty of the house, but DeVito's has received accolades for its entire menu in an impressive number of state and national publications. Dinner served Thursday through Monday, 5-9 p.m. Full bar. New! Dine-in / take-out Deli. Thursday through Monday 11:30 a.m. -- 2 p.m. (479) 253-6807. 5 Center St.
* Ermilio's -- Old-country Italian family recipes make Ermilio's like a trip to Tuscany. Choose your pasta, then choose your sauce, and try those meatballs! Full bar. Serving dinner 5 - 9 p.m. (479) 253-8806. 26 White St.
* Gaskins Cabin Steakhouse -- Meander north along the old railroad bed on Hwy. 23 for three miles to an original bear hunter's cabin to enjoy Angus steaks. Prime rib is the house specialty. Private club license. Opens at 5 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday. (479) 253-5466.
* Horizon -- Enjoy delicious char-grilled steaks, fish, 18-layer lasagna and the most beautiful view of Beaver Lake imaginable. Beer and wine. Open Thursday, Friday and Saturday, serving dinner 5 - 8:30 p.m. (479) 253-5525. Drive west on US62 to Hwy. 187, then left on Mundell Rd. -- it's only 15 minutes from downtown.
* Little Bread Co. -- Great sandwiches start with great, homebaked bread, and plenty of loaves come out of LBC's ovens. A wide variety of sandwiches, from egg florentine to peanut butter and jelly. Be sure to take home a sack of breadsticks. Open 7 a.m. -- 7 p.m. daily, 7 a.m. -- 3 p.m. Sunday. (479) 253-0800. Located in the Quarter, on US62E.
* Mud St. Café -- Experience Eureka's local legend! Relax into the cozy atmosphere and enjoy award winning coffees and espresso. Start your day off with sour cream pancakes or a specialty omelet. They offer the freshest salads and wraps, great burgers and Reubens or simply indulge in one of their unforgettable desserts. Full bar and local art. Open 8 a.m. - 3 p.m., except Wednesday. Dinner Friday and Saturday evenings.(479) 253-6732. Located at the confluence of Spring and Main Sts.
* Myrtie Mae's -- Bountiful and scrumptious comes to mind. Sunday brunch buffet is a sight to behold. Open every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Cocktails available. (479) 253-9768. Located in the Inn of the Ozarks.
* New Delhi Cafe -- Breakfast, lunch and dinner all served all day. Enjoy Belgian waffles with a cup of espresso, or delve into an East Indian samosa. Authentic East Indian dishes. Salads and sandwiches are delicious. (479) 253-2525. Located at 2 N. Main St., just a hop, skip and jump from Main and Spring Sts.
* The Paper Rose Tea Room -- Discover a unique dining experience sit in or dine out overlooking Eureka Historic District. Only the freshest ingredients are used and prepared to order. For the Adults Beer and wine are available. For the kids check out the revised children menu. Downtown delivery is available (479) 253-2212. Centrally located at 481/2 Spring Street. Open Tuesday-Saturday 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Riverview -- A convenience store and bait shop near the river and lake where you can get a hot, homemade breakfast or lunch. Also serving hot pizza or sizzling hamburgers. Deli sandwiches and cold beer, too. Open everyday shortly after sunup. 253-8367. Hwy 62 W on the White River.
* Rowdy Beaver Restaurant & Tavern -- Join Rowdy at the Rowdy Beaver Restaurant and Tavern in a fun family atmosphere. They serve lip-smacking good steaks, seafood and chicken, along with a full bar for the thirsty folks. Sweets lovers -- you won't be able to resist their desserts! Open seven days a week for lunch and dinner. 253-8544. Hwy 62 W.
* Sparky's -- Do not leave town without getting your Sparky's fix. It's fun, the food ranges from burgers to enchiladas to grilled steaks and fish. Full bar and 99, that's 99, brands of beer, and good wine, too. Daily except Sunday. (479) 253-6001. On US 62. You can't miss it.
* Terimisu @ Creekside -- A charming coffee house overlooking the creek featuring Cappuccinos, Lattes, Blended Iced Coffees, Smoothies and homemade snacks and desserts. Indoor and outdoor seating. Open Wed., Thurs., Sun. 8 a.m.-6 p.m., Fri. & Sat. 8 a.m.-8 p.m. At 55 N. Main near Mountain St. (479) 253-5655.
* War Eagle Mill Outpost -- Don't miss one of the most picturesque cafes in Eureka Springs, located inside a cave in the lobby of Basin Park Hotel. Open for breakfast and lunch, they offer a full line of coffee drinks and everything to eat from War Eagle biscuits and gravy to cinammon rolls to Panini breakfast sandwiches on homemade bread. Open 7 days a week 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. (479) 253-7411.