1 dead in weekend wreck

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

A car accident over the weekend has left a local man dead.

The accident report says Dalton L. Johnson of Eureka Springs died in a one-vehicle accident on the morning of Saturday, Sept. 2. Eureka Springs police officer Tim Holm was notified that a vehicle crashed into some trees near the train depot on Highway 23 North, the report says, at approximately 6:31 a.m. A dispatcher told Holm there was a non-responsive man in the vehicle, the report says.

When Holm arrived on the scene at approximately 6:40 a.m., the report says, he noticed a gray Ford Ranger crashed into a tree just off the roadway. The report says David Dortch, who lives at the train depot, was standing outside and said he couldnít get a response from the driver. Dortch also told Holm he heard a loud crash around 2:30 a.m., the report says, but didnít think much of it at the time.

The report says Holm approached the vehicle and noticed it was heavily damaged with Johnson still inside. Holm tried to make contact with Johnson, the report says, but he couldnít get a response. Holm noticed blood inside the vehicle and asked dispatchers to send emergency medical services. When Holm climbed on the embankment to get a better view of Johnson, the report says, he saw signs of significant injury and noticed that he was pinned beneath the dashboard. Johnson hadnít been wearing his seatbelt, the report says, and the vehicleís airbags had deployed. That was when Holm asked a dispatcher to contact the Carroll County coroner.

Eureka Springs EMS arrived on the scene at approximately 6:40 a.m. and began getting ready to remove Johnson from the vehicle, the report says. Carroll County coroner Zachary Gray arrived on the scene at approximately 7:21 a.m., giving the time of death at 7:25 a.m. The report says EMS personnel used heavy tools to open the passenger side door to gain access to Johnson, retrieving his body from the driverís side door and placing it on a rescue board. From there, the report says, the body was identified by EMS personnel.

The report says Holm began investigating the incident by checking for skid marks from Johnsonís vehicle. Holm noticed clear marks in the grass where Johnsonís vehicle had left the road, the report says, but did not see any actual tire skid marks on the roadway.

Holm measured 66 feet of grass marks from where Johnsonís vehicle left the roadway to the point where the vehicle struck the first tree, the report says. From there, Johnsonís vehicle collided with another tree, which peeled the vehicleís roof away and completely destroyed the front end of it. After hitting the second tree, the report says, Johnsonís vehicle came to a rest on the embankment. Holm came to this conclusion by measuring 130 feet between the point of impact and a utility pole, using that as a reference point.

View 1 comment
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. Please note that those who post comments on this website may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.
  • Im so against posting on these as they are here forever. And can be so hurtful as i know this from personal experience. However as the paper chose to do so wrong and make this a fact story instead of a story about a awesome wonderful caring person as Dalton was. The person who wrote this should remember that Dalton was a son brother husband and a daddy etc. Maybe the reporter should of thought of that and as i refer to her as a reporter as she doesnt derserve her name to be used. I hope she can see in heart to write a aplogy to Daltons family and friends

    -- Posted by no happening on Fri, Sep 8, 2017, at 7:09 AM
Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: