Accused rapist is back in custody
By Scott Loftis
and Samantha Jones
A Eureka Springs man who had been free on bond after being arrested on multiple charges including rape and kidnapping in May is back in custody.
The intake log from the Carroll County Detention Center says Linker was booked into the jail on Monday, July 8, on charges of intimidating a witness and violation of a protective order.
The intake log indicates that Linker was arrested at his home by the Eureka Springs Police Department.
As of Wednesday morning, Linker remained in custody at the county jail and no bond had been set on the new charges.
Linker was scheduled to appear at an arraignment on Monday, July 15, in Eureka Springs.
The Citizen reached out to Carroll County clerks in Berryville and Eureka Springs to determine what happened at the arraignment and was referred to Carroll County Circuit Clerk Ramona Wilson. At press time, Wilson was not available for comment and the online court database was not updated to reflect the July 15 arraignment.
No further details on the new charges were immediately available. Shelly Grogan of the Eureka Springs Police Department said an arrest report is not available because it is part of an active investigation. Grogan said the Linker case file has been sealed at the instruction of prosecutors.
Carroll County Prosecuting Attorney Tony Rodgers did not return a message left with his office Thursday, July 11.
Linker was arrested May 24, two days after his alleged victim filed a petition in Carroll County Circuit Court seeking an order of protection against him. In that petition, the alleged victim writes that Linker held her against her will and raped her more than once on May 14 and 15.
According to the alleged victim, Linker threatened her safety and that of her daughter if she reported the incident.
In an interview with Eureka Springs detective Josh Jackson, Linker denied raping the alleged victim, according to a probable cause affidavit.
Asked to explain the alleged victim’s multiple bruises, Linker said the alleged victim “does not eat very well and they had gone to the ground a couple of times before,” the affidavit says.
Circuit Judge Scott Jackson issued a temporary protective order the same day the petition was filed. A hearing to determine whether a permanent order will be issued was scheduled for June 18 but was continued at the defense’s request. That hearing is now scheduled for Tuesday, Aug. 20.